Broken // Storybrooke

It had been days since Henry entered into a coma. The doctors were still trying to figure out what had happened.

Emma claimed it was something he ate, an apple turnover from Regina, that she thought could have been poisoned. Dr. Whale swore they tested him and it came back negative. 

Regina was frantic. She was the one who called Kyla to get to the hospital. They hadn't been speaking since Kyla helped Emma with Mary Margaret's case, so Kyla knew it must have been bad if she was calling. 

Regina and Emma oddly disappeared, asking both Kyla and Mary Margaret to watch over Henry in case anything happened. 

They were gone overnight and Mary Margaret had stayed with Kyla. Kyla tried her hardest to sleep for an hour or so while Mary Margaret read him Snow White's story out of the book. She thought about being a fairytale. Maybe being Rapunzel didn't sound so bad. Sure, she was locked in a tower for most of her life, but then she met her Prince Charming. She got a chance to live happily ever after. 

Maybe they were all too quick to jump on the Crazy Henry train. She regretted not indulging the 10 year old in his fantasies and allowing him to be 10. 

After a good while of not sleeping, she sat up in the chair and sighed. 

"You can go home, Mary Margaret. I'll watch him," Kyla said. 

"You've been here all day, I could say the same to you," Mary Margaret replied. "If this is about getting back into Regina's good graces-"

"It's not," Kyla answered quickly. "It's about Henry. I want to be here for him. Seriously, go home and come back in the morning after you've gotten some sleep."

"What about you?" Mary Margaret asked. 

Kyla chuckled. "Clearly, I'm not tired. I'll be okay," she said with a smile. 

Mary Margaret stood up and began to gather her things. Before leaving, she looked at Kyla.

"David's leaving town," she said sadly.

Kyla stared at her, confused. "Because of you?" 

"He said there's nothing here for him anymore. He wants to find his own happy ending."

"As if that even exists," Kyla responded, looking at Henry. 

"He'll be okay," Mary Margaret said. 

"How can you be so sure?"

Mary Margaret shrugged and smiled softly. "I have hope. I'll see you tomorrow," she said and left the room. 

It wasn't long until Kyla realized it was already tomorrow. It was almost 5 in the morning. The sun would be out soon and hopefully Regina would return to be with Henry. There was no change, which Dr. Whale swore was a good thing, but she knew better. 

Within the next few hours, there was still no change in Henry's condition. A few nurses had been in and out to look at his IV and check his vitals, but nothing was different. 

Suddenly, his monitor started beating loudly. Kyla jumped from her seat, her eyes wide as she watched Henry's heart rate begin to slow on the monitors. 

Like clockwork, Dr. Whale and his nurses flew through the ICU doors and ran to Henry. One of the nurses grabbed Kyla. 

"You need to leave!" She insisted. 

"No, what's wrong?!" Kyla asked, fear filling her lungs. 

"We're doing everything we can, go!" She said, pushing her to the doors.