John Doe // Storybrooke

Since Emma's arrival, it seemed that Kyla never left Regina's side. Emma moved in with Mary Margaret, spent all of her time with Henry and was even beginning to flirt with the Sheriff. Regina hated Emma almost as much as she hated Mary Margaret, but Kyla never knew why. 

She didn't mind Mary Margaret. They weren't close, but she could hardly dislike her. She was kind and a good colleague to Kyla. She was a fantastic teacher. All around, she was just a good person. Beautiful, too. When Henry told Kyla that he thought his teacher was Snow White, she wasn't surprised. Mary Margaret was fair with dark hair, snow white skin and a heart that screamed "Disney Princess." She was the perfect fit for her. Mary Margaret, however, couldn't find her prince charming. 

"Henry will not stop talking about this John Doe at the hospital," Regina said over dinner one night. Kyla looked up at her, confused. 

"John Doe?" She asked. 

"The coma patient. His class went on a trip to visit patients in the hospital and his teacher introduced him to John Doe. I guess Miss Blanchard goes in to talk with him every time she's there...gives him a flower...let's him know he's not alone. It's all very sickening."

Kyla shrugged. "It's kind of sweet." 

"Sweet?" Regina repeated, anger trailing in her voice. 

"Well, it's not like he's going to wake up anytime soon. How long has he been in a coma?" 

"As long as anyone can remember. I found him on the side of the road a few years back, took him straight to the hospital and he's been there ever since. They didn't know if it was a wreck or an attack. He has almost no brain activity and will most likely never wake up again," she said. Kyla swore she saw a hint of a smile behind Regina's wine glass.

"So what's the problem then?" Kyla asked. She was still confused why Regina cared so much. 

"Henry believes that John Doe is 'Prince Charming'," Regina said slowly. "Ever since you all told me about his fantasies with his storybook, I did a little investigating. He thinks I'm the Evil Queen from Snow White's story. Which would mean that I'm the villain in Mary Margaret's story."

"Regina," Kyla said, scooting her chair a touch closer to hers, "he's just going through something right now. It's because of Emma." Regina's head snapped up and her dark, soulless eyes looked right into Kyla's. She continued, with a light voice and soft smile. "He may just be struggling with wanting to know why she gave him up. I think he believes that if he can convince everyone that we're all these fairytale characters, she'll want him in his life."

"But I'm his mother!" She shouted. 

"And no one's denying that," Kyla said, staying calm. "But, I think we should be more sensitive to his fantasies. I mean, there's no way that you're the Evil Queen. I get the queen part - being the Mayor and all - but evil? There's no way." She said. Regina's face softened a bit and her body released its tension. 

"I can't just let him go." 

"Why would you do that?" She asked, chuckling. "Look, I was given up when I was a child," she said and found a hint of confusion in Regina's face, which then relaxed as if she just remembered Kyla's past. She wasn't shy about it. In fact, she barely remembered it. Sometimes it felt like another's person's story that she had read instead of something she lived through. "I'll never know why my mother didn't want me and as a kid going from home to home, I was so desperate to understand why. Today? It doesn't matter to me anymore. All that matters to me are the people who created a home for me. Storybrooke and the people in it matter. Henry will get there. You just have to allow him to get through this phase. I promise you he will."