The Only Escape // The Underworld

KYLA'S POV

Rider's eyes were empty, but his heart was strong. She could feel the confusion seeping out of him, only followed by sadness. She checked his hands, still as strong as she remembered. Scratches lined his perfect hands, but they would heal. No blood detectable. 

His face, however, was a little worse for wear. Though, nothing could take away his natural beauty and charm. There was a bruise growing on his skin under his right eye. On the other side of his face, glass shards had created a long cut on his cheek. The blood had mostly dried, but she could tell it burned as he winced while she examined it. It was nothing her magic couldn't heal, but she didn't want to do anything without his consent. 

This was going to take a while to come back from. 

She was afraid to meet his eyes. They would be full of questions she couldn't answer. She feared they would be full of doubt toward her. She wouldn't have blamed him. He shouldn't have been a part of this. She dropped her hands from his face.

"I'm so sorry," she said, her voice trembling. 

Though he was looking at her, once he heard her voice it was like his eyes finally focused. His face didn't change. He still looked immune to whatever emotions he was feeling. Kyla tried to stay out of them for the time being. He had already been violated enough with his heart being ripped from his body. 

Slowly, he lifted his hand and wiped the tears she hadn't noticed were falling down her cheeks. Then, he took both hands, and touched each cheek, slowly moving to hold her face gently in his hands. He stared at each part of her face, contemplative. He searched her up and down, still no emotion set on his face.

"You're real," he said, his voice just a rasp.

A sob escaped her as she smiled and touched his hands. 

"Of course I am," she whispered. He leaned his head down, touching his forehead to hers and breathed in and out. His breaths were shaking and she could tell he was trying not to break down in front of her. 

"I thought..."

"I am so sorry," she said before he could finish his sentence. She pulled away from him. "We had no time." 

Kyla looked up to where Rumple was standing, watching them quietly. 

"The only plan we had was Rumple's." 

"But you knew," Rider said, his voice robotic. He was still in shock. 

"Kyla's power is hard to explain at times," Rumple spoke up. "The connection we share in between our history and magic has allowed us, at times, to communicate without words." 

"And in this moment, Rumple was able to tell me exactly what he planned without Pan knowing anything," Kyla added. 

"When I pulled you off of my father, I brought him in the back and told him there was a spell that could neutralize a neutral being."

"Basically like he took my heart and commanded me to fall in love with Pan." 

"Pan was so desperate that he would have believed anything," Rumple concluded. 

Kyla was silent for a moment, searching Rider's eyes for any kind of understanding. "My original plan was just to burst through those doors and end Pan's life with my magic." 

"And sacrifice yours?" Rider asked. 

Kyla smiled. "What kind of life would I have without you?"

She hoped Rider would acknowledge an emotion, but nothing happened. Nothing coursed through him and she wondered for a moment if Rumple gave her the right heart. Suddenly, Rider braced the arms of the chair, straightening his back.