The Search Begins // Storybrooke

The citizens of Storybrooke were in a frenzy. The Evil Queen was, thankfully, holed up in her house, the Dark One was on the loose and their Princess and Sheriff had disappeared into a hat. 

Kyla and David, reluctantly, decided to work with one another to bring Snow and Emma back, if there was a way back. The two of them arrived at Regina's household, preparing for a firefight. 

Regina flung the door open, her face like a statue. David walked right past her, hat in hand. Kyla smiled and curtsied, then walked past the Queen. 

"Tell me about this," David said, holding the hat up. 

"I'm surprised you don't have armed guards round the clock." Regina said.

"He has me," Kyla said, her arms crossed against her chest. 

"And we both know that if you step outside, there's a line a mile long for your head."

Regina slammed the door shut, walking closer to the two. Her face contorted into a sinister grimace.

"Who's going to risk coming at me."

"Take your chances then," David said, calm and confident, "but I think that little wallpaper trick was an anomaly."

"If you had your magic back, this town would be charcoal," Kyla said. 

"You're having problems with magic, aren't you?"

Regina turned her gaze to Kyla. 

"Which means you are, too," she said. Then, she noticed the strip of blonde in Kyla's brown hair. Kyla smirked. 

"Feeling stronger everyday," she said, watching Regina eye her hair. 

"Right now," David continued, "the only thing keeping you alive is that Henry wishes it."

Regina's face fell. She became soft at the mention of her son. The thought that he wanted her alive made her feel warm. Still angry, but the love she had for him began to burn again.

"Now this," he said, holding the hat up again. 

"It's the hat that pulled your loved ones away. Kyla should know everything about it."

"I only know what it does," Kyla said. "I don't know how to get it working. Apparently, you do."

"Where did you get it?" David asked.

"I've long since forgotten," Regina said. Kyla rolled her eyes, following them into her dining room. 

David went on to ask her again where Emma and Snow ended up. Regina's answer: into a sucking airless void. 

"And good luck getting magic to work," she said, then looking at Kyla, "because as you said, you'd be charcoal."

"Little frustrated, huh?" Kyla mocked, unafraid of Regina's threats. "This is all your fault!"

"Oh, keep on baiting me," Regina said. "Right now I don't have magic and I don't have my son, but when I get one, I get the other, and you don't want to be around when that happens."

David's voice became quiet, almost a whisper as he spoke to Regina. "If you have to use magic to keep your son, you don't really have him." 

He turned, allowing Kyla to walk in front of him and they left. 

"So the hat's not going to work," David said, defeated.

"If only there was a wardrobe on this side, maybe that could get us back there." Kyla said.

David stopped, causing Kyla to stop.

"That's it," David whispered, "the wardrobe!" 

"I wasn't being serious!" She said. "There's no real magic on this side aside from, I don't know, Gold's? And we don't even know if there is an Enchanted Forest to get to."