Innocence // Storybrooke

"What is that?" Kyla asked. Emma had gone down to the stables to show Kyla new evidence found in Kathryn Nolan's case. Mary Margaret had been locked up in the Sheriff's station. After the interrogation where Regina insisted on being a third party, her faith was wavering. It was her love for David that kept her going, which in her case, wasn't helping. 

Emma was holding a small knife out to Kyla. "I found this in our apartment. It was hidden in the heating vent." 

Kyla gasped. She felt like the wind had been knocked out of her. "You don't think..."

"No, of course not," she said, wrapping it back in the blanket and putting it in her bag, "but this isn't helping. It doesn't matter what I think-"

"Because the evidence just keeps piling up." Kyla shook her head, "It's too simple. The case tied up in a nice bow? There's been no effort in searching...it's almost too perfect." 

"I agree with you, which is why I checked the apartment. There was no sign of a break-in." 

"They would have had to have a key." She breathed. This made her think of Regina. She knew that the Mayor had a key to every part of the city. Regina didn't know that she knew. Kyla could have said something to Emma then, but she didn't.

"Yup. Look, I have to put this in evidence and I'm going to let Mary Margaret know. Just...be on the lookout for anything suspicious. I'll see you tonight, alright?" Emma said, patting her on the arm and jogging back to her yellow bug. 

Kyla let out a long breath and felt the cold chill of the air hit her face. She felt helpless. As the new Deputy, she wasn't doing a whole lot, but she wanted to. 

There was no way Mary Margaret could fight Regina on her own. She needed someone stronger on her side...someone stronger than Regina. 

She knew exactly what she needed to do.

She hopped in her truck and drove into town, right up to Mr. Gold's Pawn Shop. She scrambled to get out of the car and hurried to the door. Apprehension took over her as she knew asking Mr. Gold for a favor never boded well for anyone. 

She opened the door slowly, hearing the bell chime and alerting Mr. Gold that she was entering. He was standing behind his desk, reading a book. Once he recognized her walking through the door, he put it down and gave her a smile.

"Kyla," he said kindly, "to what do I owe the pleasure?"

"Mr. Gold," she said with a smile, closing the door behind her. She walked up to the desk, ignoring her hands shaking and mustered up all the courage she could. "How has your day been?" 

"Good," he answered, "better now," and flashed her an even bigger smile. 

"I have a favor to ask you," she said slowly. 

"Me?" He asked as if no one asked him for favors.

"I don't believe Mary Margaret is guilty of murdering Kathryn. Regina is convinced and I know that she can't fight against the army of evidence Regina is building against her." 

"You believe Regina has something to do with Kathryn's disappearance?" Mr. Gold asked. 

Kyla took a step forward and whispered, "Would you be surprised if she had?" 

Mr. Gold didn't answer, but the look in his eyes was confirmation enough. 

"So what exactly do you want me to do, dearie?" He asked, walking around his desk. He limped with each step and clung to his cane. 

"I know that you helped Regina adopt Henry. I know you have connections. Plus, you were arrested for almost beating a man to death and you got out of that. What I'm asking is that you represent Mary Margaret and help her out of this."