16

PART SIXTEEN !
want me dead.

A HEAVY RAP ON THE WINDOW brings you out of your own muddling thoughts. there is a string of panic that shoots through you briefly but when you lift your gaze and squint out on Ran's familiar lackluster smile, you falter in relief.

    you straighten yourself, reaching out towards the driver's seat to unlock the door. kept silent the entire time as the three men shuffled back into the car just as quietly. compared to when they first entered; they were missing their blazers, ties loosened, polo shirts and vest rumpled a little, sweat sticking to their bodies and the visible smell of something pungent drowning the car's air freshener.

but you didn't bring up questions about what had happened out there, not wanting to be the outlet of a criminals' frustrations especially when the clear exhaustion overwrites the expression of the Haitanis. it didn't take long before Sanzu pops the keys into the lock with ease and revs the car back to life, quickly pulling out of the building and back into the night roads of Tokyo.

    you recline against the seat, setting your gaze out into the window before you. you were conservative this time, but the atmosphere wasn't entirely quiet. Rindou was finally on a phone call with Kakucho, explaining deliberately the things that happened an hour or two ago, his lazy voice of vodka rolling out between his teeth.

    "is y/n with you right now?" Kakucho questions from his end of the line, his heart beating faster in worry.

    Rindou hums, and the male sighs in relief. "pass the phone, i want to talk to her."

    "hey." Rindou taps his phone against your head, pulling your gaze from the window. you wince as he holds the phone in front of your face.

    "Kakucho," he says simply.

    you take the phone from him carefully, pressing the screen against your ear. "hello?"

    "you alright?" Kakucho's voice dips a gentle tone, almost breathy and whispery. a sense of comfort washes through you when you hear his familiar baritone from across the line. you hummed, eyes crinkling in relief. "i would be dead if it wasn't for the three of them."

    Ran spares you a quick glance over his shoulder, a small smile on his lips while the other two pretended not to hear. though what you are unaware of was the downturned lips that plastered Kakucho's face, few midnight blue strands falling haphazardly over his vision, too distracted with immersive and messy thoughts to brush it away.

    he didn't want you involved with anything dangerous, that wasn't what he wanted. to think something as a bounty on your head and an assassination on you being the first thing he hears from the usually bored Rindou.

    his heart almost leaped out of his body when he first got connected with the youngest Haitani, only for him to tell Kakucho a dreading news about you.

    he was entertaining Mikey the entire night who was growing all the more impatient with each minute that passed with the absence of Sanzu and the Haitanis, their sudden disappearance irking the platinum. that is until Rindou suddenly reconnected and called for a cleanup at the area near the bay. the boss' brows furrowing in confusion, since neither the executives had any queued on-field missions to finish here in Tokyo.

    Kakucho swallows after so many lingering moments, motioning himself to be excused from Mikey's office and he was relieved when his boss lets him go. he starts speaking again when the door shuts behind him. "good to know, tell Rindou that this situation will be informed to our boss so for now stay with the three—no, stay close to Ran Haitani okay? don't go back to your apartment." his hard tone takes you back, you silently nod your head, not that Kakucho could see it.