47

PART FOURTY-SEVEN !
you take the man out of the city.

        "THEY ARE ALIVE." WAKASA SAYS, and those three words had cut an incision through your mind like tattered parchment.

"what?"

"they are alive," he repeats, clearer. "all three of them."

"h-how is that...how did you..""

"i met them yesterday. bruised and a little burned, but they're okay. after the incident, i personally investigated what happened." he starts. "when Bonten left the building to burn, a third party barged into the building and saved them, at the last minute. it was barely but even with that little time, it was enough for a rescue. all three of them are currently under his care."

his eyes then sharpen like cold stone, almost piercing through you. "now let me ask you this,"

"do you want to see them?"

your hands tighten around his own.

    you learn how to breathe again, your chest heaving and stuttering like a drunk walking down the street, far from sober. the glow of moonlight on your window shapes a halo at the side of your face.

    there is only one answer that's ready to break away from your chest.

"of course." your voice trembles. "of course i do."

his smile is thin, almost feathery. he grips your hand in return, grounding you back to the world that has wronged you multiple times—and yet hope is still teetering by the corner. you take a greedy bite out of it, in desperation and in hunger.

"then, let me take you to them tonight."

a significant pause consumes the atmosphere.

"Wakasa Imaushi." you start then press your lips in reluctance.

    you focus on the warmth of his calloused fingers before leaning your forehead against the back of his hand. "i'm grateful for what you've done for me, truly. you don't have any reason to do all of these for my sake. that's not your role, never was it your role."

"and you think you know what my role is?"

he lifts his hand and cups your cheek softly, "Takeomi, Mikey and Haru, i watched as those three lost their sisters." you watch him as he watches his own hand, his thumb running a pattern on your skin, a soothing solace that thaws your heart.

his next word was almost quiet, too quiet to make out. "your older brother wouldn't want that, for you to be tormented like this."

both Wakasa's hands are on your cheeks, forcing you to look at him. "who would want to see someone wither right before their eyes?"

    his voice is achingly gentle, like he's a tamed leopard purring on your lap. "you're right. i don't have any good reason to help you. but you trusted me with your secret and i watched in the sidelines as you were locked up against your will, to take medication that you didn't want to take, to rot in this damn room...i got attached to you and i didn't want to sit still and do nothing when you placed blind faith in me."

there was a small tip of a smile on your lips. "if circumstances were different and brother Marise was still alive, he would've loved to meet you, Wakasa-san."

your smile is contagious, finding the tips of his lips curve upward with a hint of a chuckle. "he would've hated my guts and i would have found him annoying."