36

PART THIRTY-SIX!
no half measures.

            "YOU BETTER GIVE US A DAMN good explanation as to why you ghosted us and why you are suddenly being buddy-buddy with Bonten of all people—"

    "Hanma," you soften your tone. "not here, okay?"

you find yourselves back at Taiju Shiba's party, exposed against the balcony's chilly atmosphere. despite the anger burning in his golden eyes, you try not to react as much. beneath the blanket of a sweet, darkened night—your vacant eyes never leave the two boys in front of you. faces you have not seen for months, people you left without a single word.

    you know that beneath their exterior burned the jealousy, disappointment and upset, you see it, clear as day.

you speak. "i'll explain it to you and the rest when we—"

    "when we, what?" Ryusei frowns, "we've successfully killed Quoia's eldest daughter and then suddenly—you go missing on us, for Gods sake we thought you died!"

"i would've been." you answer stiffly.

    "that night, i would've been—" a wild breeze rushes in, causing you to shiver beneath your burgundy dress. you see Hanma itching to remove his coat for you, he stops momentarily when you take a step back and look away from them.

    "after killing Mars," you regained yourself. "a few days later, Quoia knew about my whereabouts and placed a bounty on me. i was caught in a crossfire."

you recount the events with the two: the assassination attempt, the car chase, entering Bonten's den. they listened to you, a permanent frown on their faces.

    "i was found out, they must've tracked me down from the moment we killed Mars. if Bonten didn't find me, i would've been dead by now."

they remained silent, choosing this time to pick apart your statement with minor consideration.

    it has been awhile since you've met up with them and the others. two years is enough for you and Hanma to gather allies by your side with a stagnant plan to take down Quoia. Ryusei Satou's one of the people that were willing to follow you, and immediately became one of your greatest shields and friends.

    "give me," your breath hitches. "give me time, we are still gonna defeat Quoia just—Bonten's after them too, and Mikey plans to consume that company, i'm trying to find an opening. give me a couple more weeks."

    Hanma sighs. "fine. just," he licks his lips. "just don't fucking ignore us like that again, keep contact."

    you cross your arms, "that message from Shiba Taiju, what the hell did you two do?"

    Ryusei's dark eyes blinks, then a wide smile spreads across his face.

"made a quick deal with the dude. we rat ourselves out and he invites Bonten to his little party. it's the only way we get to see you again so we could finally reach out to you." your eyes widened at his words, almost baffled. that explains the furious look on Mikey's face and why Taiju looked at you with such recognition.

    it was because of them, they ratted themselves out, put themselves on high risk, all for you?

    you cannot help the fury bubbling in your chest. "the hell were you two thinking?" you hiss.