8. Little liar

"What did you do to make that woman love you so much?" Mason looks amused at me while all the other guys on the team just have their mouths wide open

"What did you do to make that woman love you so much?" Mason looks amused at me while all the other guys on the team just have their mouths wide open. Their new coach just said my name directly in her speech when she was talking about young talent.

She just dropped my name like a bomb and I haven't stopped smiling ever since. All the nerves that I had earlier are gone by just one simple speech. I feel like all the hard work that I did to get the team finally paid off.

Sure our own coach still doesn't care about us but I know that someone acknowledges us. She promised me to come to one of our games if she has the time. And at first, I thought she only said that because she felt obligated to. But I have heard enough talks about her that she doesn't do anything that she doesn't want to do.

"Not being a dick to her might work." Both my brother and Connor start to chuckle when Hunter looks hurt. I don't know what is with that guy but he always brings out the worst in me by just breathing. He doesn't even have to do a thing and I already want to punch him in the face.

"I am allowed to be a dick when she dropped a bomb without any warning. She is going to pick a new team captain and I am sure that I won't get a second chance." My brother looks pleased with that answer because I know how much he wants that spot. He has been talking about it since his high school career started.

"Maybe that is for the best. A fresh pair of eyes might help you win more often." Mason bites the inside of his cheek when I look at him. He doesn't want to show any of the guys a smile from him. All they get from him is a glare whenever they look at him.

I don't know what it is about him but he just doesn't want to be liked by them. He isn't the same guy as earlier with Maya. He could have said no to her but he didn't even need a lot of convincing to say yes to being her male model for her class.

I am also quite sure that she hasn't told him the rest of her plan. If she gets chosen, which she will because she is amazing, she has to present her pieces in front of a jury by doing a catwalk. And all the models have to do the same thing.

"You really should know when to stop talking, little Jones. You do know that you can't even play at our field because the board doesn't even believe in you." There is only one thing that can actually hurt me and he always uses it whenever he can. 

It feels like Hunter stabbed me in the chest when he said those words. He damn well knows that it hurts me whenever someone mentions the board. I really thought he wouldn't be such a dick but I guess that I was wrong about that too.

"Fuck off, dude. You just went too far." Mason lays his hand on top of mine trying to calm me down. And it takes a lot of effort not to cry in front of them. I don't want them to see me as a weak person but fuck does it hurt.

"She is a better soccer player than you will ever be. I hope you know that." Some of the guys pull Hunter away from the table. And I just feel like I am the reason this evening is going to suck for them.