23. You listened

Brynn is sitting on the bench reading her book while we are practicing

Brynn is sitting on the bench reading her book while we are practicing. A part of me is happy that she decided to come because that means she might like me. The other part of me is scared to death that she only came because she can say in my face that she wants to be friends. And the worst case is her telling me she is in love with Connor and should thank me.

But that doesn't change the fact that I am playing better because I know that she is looking up a few times to see how I am playing. Even coach is picking up that Brynn is here because of me. The woman is even smiling when I score and the first thing I do is look at Brynn who is smiling instead of fist-bumping Austin.

I am totally whipped and I don't even know if she feels the same way. How pathetic have I turned out in the little time that I have known Brynn?

"You listened." Austin looks over to Brynn who is rubbing her arms and I want to give her my spare jacket. But I don't know if I am going to be able to talk to her if she is wearing my jacket that will look like a dress on her.

But I can't be a dickhead.

Jogging over to her, I throw my jacket at her that I keep in my bag. She catches it and gives me a little smile, not sure what else to do. "How is the book going?"

"It is entertaining. Violet has some really good taste." She is not sure how to react to me and that is okay. I have been avoiding her for two full weeks and not once talked to her. This is the first thing we have said to each other so I can't blame her for being nervous.

This means that she is going to start playing with her necklace. "Never heard of a Violet before."

"We met during the catwalk of Maya. She helped me find Maya before she could take all my hair out piece by piece." I couldn't even remember seeing her there because Maya's assistant was constantly asking me questions. I could barely get a word in because that girl wanted me to know everything about her.

In the end, she even asked me out on a date which I simply denied. I couldn't go on a date with someone else. Not even a girl that talked my ear off deserves to go on a date with a guy that is hung up on someone else. That would be a jerk move of me.

"I didn't see you there." She places her finger on the page she is reading and closes her book. I can tell that she finds it hard to tell me something and it sucks. We didn't know each other that long but Brynn was never uncomfortable around me. Sure, she was nervous but that was a good sign.

It meant that I had an effect on her.

"I decided not to disturb you talking with Maya's classmate." Dallas takes this as his time to run over to us and get beside his sister. She fakes a little smile but he doesn't realize it is fake. He just ruffles her hair. "I thought you were dead or something. It is not for you not to show up at our practice."

"We missed our cheerleader." All the guys took this as their sign to come over to us. I should have known it was a stupid idea to let her come this early but I wanted people around in the beginning. I have been talking to myself the whole day to get myself to man up and see how it will turn out.