Chapter 4

Lizzie's POV

"Are you guys both ready for today?" Her Dad asks from the driver's seat.

"I am," Jadyen says, his voice audible from the back seat. She turns around noting his smiling face and wishing that his enthusiasm was infectious.

Lizzie deigns to answer, knowing that her Dad already knew her response. She stretches her hands out against the aircon vents, letting the hot air seep between her cold fingers.

After the late-night chat, she could barely keep her eyes peeled open. Though she could never regret talking to Henry, she just wished that she had ended the conversation earlier.

Looking out the window, the school quickly enters into view.

On first impressions, the school didn't look as horrible as she imagined as she peered out of the window, at least it wasn't a giant concrete block like her last one. The school was painted a cheery yellow with large windows filtering in unlimited sunlight.

It portrayed a pretty picture with its manicured lawns covered with a fine layer of fresh snow. Tree's dotted the landscape every few metres along with the heart-shaped ivy snaking its way up the walls, adding to the school's picturesque landscape.

She could definitely admit that it was nicer than her old school, but it was still missing the only thing that meant anything to her- Henry

Her Dad pulls into the heavily loitered carpark, students huddled with their friends next to their cars dreading the warning bell that would ring any second.

"Would you like me to walk you to administration?" Her Dad asks politely

Lizzie sends a warning glare to her brother to keep quiet. "No thanks Dad. I'm sure Jayden and I can make it just fine to administration".

"All good, I better get to work anyway"

Jayden huffs in annoyance but her Dad doesn't seem to notice, too busy concentrating on the road and dodging the unobservant students.

To Lizzie's appreciation, he parks in the second row of the carpark. Grabbing her bag, she hops out of the car, opening the door. The wind promptly sweeps in, blowing her auburn hair into a mess. She grumbles to herself wishing she'd tied it up.

She was glad that her Dad drove her to school, but most of the people her age already had their license and their new fancy car.

Since her parents couldn't afford a car for her at this moment, she was going to be catching the bus for the rest of the year, unless she decided to get a job.
Which was highly unlikely.

The morning bell startles Lizzie from her thoughts as she quickens her pace to the administration building. She ignores the blatant stares and assessment of her from the students. Looking down at her outfit, she was glad that she wore her ripped black denim jeans, despite her knees beginning to ache from the cold. Her cream wool knit jumper kept her arms warm as she lugged her backpack towards Administration.

The second warning bell broke people out of their trance. The sharp shrill echoing through the carpark.

No one made an effort to introduce themselves and she was glad. All she needed was one good friend to get her through the year.
And to find whoever were the Blacks and avoid them.

Her brother trailed behind her, an excited look cemented to his face. Lizzie couldn't understand why he was so happy? She assumed that he had good friends back in Everdale, maybe she'd been wrong.

Lizzie thanked her lucky stars that the administration building was separate from the school. It meant by the time she was finished, hopefully, the hallways would be clear of students. Leaving her time to find her class without being bulldozed over.

Entering administration, felt like stepping into a sauna. Lizzie hoped that all her classrooms were fitted with this high-tech heater.

Behind the front desk sat an elderly lady. With her tight-lipped smile and dated clothing, she gave Lizzie the impression that she'd been working at the school since it opened it 1832.

Lizzie groaned internally as she approached her.

"Name" she stated coldly

"Elizabeth Mannin"

Looking down she types her name into the computer. The beeping sound of the printer following shortly after.

"Here you go" she states without looking up, handing Lizzie her timetable. "If you have any questions, let me know"

"Got it" Lizzie pulls the piece of paper from her bony fingers.

She turns around to her brother.

"Will you be okay if I head off"

"I'll be fine. Have a great first day"

"Thanks" She tries to plaster a smile on her face, but it ends up being a grimace.

She walks out clutching her timetable and a map that looks like a five-year-old had drawn it. A brisk wind sweeps through the grounds, causing the map to flap and crinkle in the wind.
She sighs, knowing it will be impossible to read, she hurries to get inside.

Inside, the school layout was very simple, a long hallway ran down the middle splitting off at the end as classes branched out between silver tin lockers that rested against the cream coloured walls.

It was peaceful for the moment, as Lizzie tries to study her timetable and map. Her first class was chemistry, located in building 203. She assumes that the number 2 stood for level 2.

Glancing at the map again, she tilted her head as she looked for something that resembled a staircase.
According to the sheet of paper, it was supposedly located down the hallway to the right. She starts walking when the bell sounds and as if on cue, hundreds of students come streaming out of the classrooms.

Keeping her head high, Lizzie manoeuvres around them, keeping her eyes on her destination. Only some of the students gawked at her, recognising her as the outsider.

Climbing up the stairs, the second floor was a similar layout to level 1, it was slightly quieter than down below. Most of the people had quickly found their classes leaving only a few students left roaming the halls.

Lizzie didn't let the anxiety set in, as she turned right. She hated being late, hated the feeling of everyone staring at her as she walked into the class.

She walks through to the end of the hallway, scanning the room numbers, but none of them corresponded to her class number. It was almost like she was on the wrong floor altogether. Sighing, she half walks half runs back to the start of the hallway. It was practically empty now, with only a few stragglers making it to class.

Lizzie's attention is snagged momentarily as she watches a blond-haired girl with hair in short pigtails walks leisurely up the stairs, humming an old folk tale song.

"You're looking a little lost," she says approaching Lizzie who was still standing in the middle of the hallway.

"Is it really that obvious?"

"Come on, let me have a look at your timetable"

She grabs the timetable glancing at it."Good news" She grins, "Your with me in chemistry, and even better news is that our teacher's normally ten minutes late"

"Thank goodness. I'm Lizzie by the way"

"I know everyone's been talking about your arrival in town"

She groans, this is exactly what she didn't want.

"Don't worry, it's not that bad. Anyway, I'm Catherine, but call me Kat"

Lizzie smiles, at her shortened name just like hers.

"Okay Kat, which way to chem"