Chapter 32

Lizzie's POV

Chapter 32

As Kat leaves the room, Lizzie's final strand of control snaps as she bursts into tears. She attempts to regain herself, quickly wiping away tears but new ones form before she has a chance to blink them away. Foot steps approach as she glances up to see Aiden rush towards her, despite his injuries.

"I am so so sorry" Lizzie gushes, wiping the tears from her eyes. "I never should have gone into the forest, I should have listened to Cassandra and listened to you and just stayed with them".

Without warning, Aiden leans in embracing her in a hug. Lizzie can't help but relax under his touch as she breathes in his scent.

"Elizabeth, please don't cry" Aiden beg. "You should never have been in danger"

Lizzie pulls away staring at him glassy eyed, "But I'm the reason why you were attacked, if I had just stayed in my room this would've all been avoided". Guilt rises up in her, she'd preferred if he screamed at her and blamed her for everything than pretend she wasn't at fault. 

"No" Aiden says maintaining contact. "That rogue is the reason I'm in this position now, this has nothing to do with you Elizabeth".

He sighs, interlacing his hands with hers, "To be honest though, Kat should've kept you here at the house where no harm could come to you"

"Please don't blame Kat" Lizzie sniffles, blinking away the remaining tears. "I was miserable and frustrated here, Kat was just trying to look after my wellbeing"

"You were frustrated?" Aiden asks concerned, his eyes intently on hers.

"I was tired of being kept in the dark, everyone else knew what was going on but poor little Lizzie couldn't be trusted"

"That's not true" Aiden interjects but Lizzie keeps talking.

"Kat kept saying that you were going to explain everything but I knew as soon as you returned you'd tell me everything was fine or you'd make up an excuse to tell me later"

"I probably would've" he admits. "Lizzie I know a lot was revealed today"

"A lot is an understatement, I just can't believe werewolves are real" A shiver rolls down her back as her mind recalls the fight in the forest.

"I'm happy to explain everything to you and give you space if you need, I just don't want you to be scared of me" Aiden's voice cracks as he lowers his eyes nervously.

Lizzie squeezes his hands "Why, would I be scared of you. You saved me. I can't thank you enough for risking your life for me"

"I would always risk my life for you" His eyes blazed with an emotion that Lizzie couldn't decipher."You're my m..."

Aiden sucks in a breath panicked as his body tenses.

"I'm your" But as Lizzie begins to speak, her mind recalls back to her first meeting when she met Aiden, when he called her his mate.

Lizzie can't help but pull her fingers out from his as she shuffles backwards her heartbeat thumping against her chest. She doesn't miss the pain that flashes across Aiden's face before he schools his features.

Kat had told her that 'mate' was just another term for beautiful but she knew now that was all a lie. Since Aiden was a werewolf, she knew the term would take on a completely new meaning.

"What does it mean" Lizzie asks her voice wavering slightly

"It means that you're my soul mate. The moon goddess, the person who created us, has destined us to be together." Aiden watches her carefully as he explain. "This isn't something that is rushed, if you don't feel the same way then I can find a way to remove the bond and you can continue living your life without me".

This was too much to grasp, she could eventually process that werewolves existed but the idea that she was soul mates to the leader of the Norhaven wolves, this was all too much. Lizzie takes a deep breath as she tries to process everything.

"There's no pressure to do anything" Aiden says trying to reassure Lizzie. He appeared calm and relaxed but Lizzie knew how important this was to him. Knowing silence would only increase Aiden's worries, she's asks of the biggest questions that had been playing on her mind.

"I just don't understand why you so cruel to me in the beginning if I am your mate?" Lizzie was still confounded over Aiden's sudden personality shift towards her.

"I was stupid" Aiden says regretfully. "I didn't want a human as my mate because I knew you wouldn't be able to protect yourself and therefore would constantly be in danger. "

"Like today" Lizzie admits

He exhales, "Yes like today, and then when I found out you were from Everdale"

"It was just another reason to add to the list" Lizzie finishes the sentence for him as Aiden nods his head in confirmation.

"But then what made you change your mind?"

"I realised that I couldn't deny the feelings that I have for you, it was futile trying" He keeps his eyes on her, as a blush spreads across Lizzie's cheeks.

She looks away momentarily as something fluttered in her chest. He actually liked her. 

As Lizzie goes to speak her phone rings. She knew from the ringtone exactly who was calling and from the dark look that passed over Aiden's face she knew he did too.

She goes to press the end button, this conversation with Aiden was too important but he surprises her gesturing to the phone.

"May I"

"Sure" Lizzie says nervously, trusting that Aiden won't say anything to rile Henry. She didn't need another headache.

Aiden is short to the point, "Everything is handled, thank you for the warning, Lizzie is safe, you don't need to call her anymore I'll be looking after her now," he hangs up.

Lizzie raises her eyebrows at Aiden as he passes her back the phone. "He's still my best-friend"

"I'm slowly coming to terms with that but he needs to realise that you belong to me, I won't let him interfere in our relationship"

Something flutters in Lizzie's stomach, though she was an independent female, she couldn't help but be attracted to Aiden's possessiveness.

"He won't" Lizzie assures, astonishing herself entirely. This was unlike her, she needed to put some space between her Aiden quickly before she said anything without second thought. 

Aiden blinks, surprised by Lizzie's confidence. "I would really to go on a date with you and show you more of the real me, now that you know I'm a wolf"

Lizzie doesn't hesitate, after Aiden put his life on the line to save her, she knew he would be someone that she would grow to really care about.

"I would really like that" She says smiling at him.

Author's note

Thanks for reading.

Quick question, would you prefer shorter chapters more frequently or longer chapters spaced out more?

Thanks,

Speech_error.