Chapter 21

Lizzie's POV

As Lizzie slips into class, she's surprised to see Aiden already sitting at a desk by the far window. He appeared deep in thought, gazing out at the forest that loomed just at the border of the school.

Despite Kat and Cassandra's warning, she was still desperate to explore it. There was something about the forest that made Lizzie feel truly safe and at home, though she couldn't quite pinpoint it.

As if hearing her enter, Aiden turns a smile gracing his face. Lizzie plasters a smile in return hoping to appear calm and relaxed, but she struggles to meet his eyes.

She was conscious of the red marks marring her neck, even though she'd styled her hair before entering class they were still visible.

She glances across at the classroom, it was only half full, with most students still loitering in. It would be easy for Lizzie to take another seat away from Aiden, but she knew that she'd only be walking into another disaster.

She couldn't avoid Aiden forever not since she'd just promised him another chance at friendship this morning. But the words of his girlfriend lurk at the back of her mind "Stay the hell away from him".

Lizzie stifles her sigh, this was all becoming too difficult to manage, in between maintaining her promise to Aiden, whilst adhering to Blondies demands so she wouldn't be next on her to kill list, all the whilst trying to follow Henry's advice.

She turns glancing at the exit, if she'd ditched class now she could head to the nurses office, find an excuse to leave school early.

Lizzie could spend the time deciding how to tell Aiden when she arrived at the party tonight. She expected that he'd support his girlfriend, he'd probably ask her to stop hanging out with him. She swallows hard at the thought.

"Elizabeth" Aiden calls, gesturing to the seat next to him.

She blinks breaking out of her trance, as her gaze returns to the desk. She knew that by leaving class she'd only have to face her consequences later. Without overthinking, Lizzie walks further inside the classroom towards Aiden.

"Is everything okay" He asks concerned as she sits down.

"Everything's fine, why wouldn't it be" Her heart beats nervously as she places her books on the desk.

"Because ever since you've entered the room you've looked everywhere but me, your whole face is consumed with worry and I just saw you contemplate leaving class".

Lizzie's body turns rigid, unsure how to react.

"Elizabeth, look at me" Aiden says his voice hard and demanding that Lizzie struggles to resist.

She brings her eyes up as he captures her attention, gazing at her face, as if the answer is written there.

Staring at him, Lizzie's reminded of his attractiveness. She could understand why girls obsessed over him, with his perfectly ruffled hair that crept behind his ears further accentuating his high cheek bones. His body appeared to be moulded by the gods with muscles that strained underneath the tight t-shirt he was wearing.

She couldn't understand why he was giving her all this attention. She wasn't special.

Lizzie notices that he's stopped gazing at her face, instead his eyes have moved downwards narrowing in at her neck. Lizzie curses silently in her head.

Without asking he pushes her hair to the side as he examines her neck fully. Lizzie bites her lip as she watches him, his eyes become hard as anger contorts his features.