Chapter 28

Lizzie's POV

"You look nice" Her mum comments as she descends the stairs

"Thanks" Lizzie glances down at her clothes, denim jeans matched with a frilly white top and cardigan, it was the perfect outfit for a casual lunch with friends.

Her phone buzzes and as expected it's a message from Aiden,

"I'm outside"

"I'll be back before dinner" Lizzie shouts to her Mum as she races out the door.

She halts at the door, her heart thumping wildly as she spots his sleek silver car. Taking a deep breath, she casually walks out willing herself to stay calm.

Aiden was leaning against the car, a warm smile gracing his features. Lizzie can't help the smile in return.

She subtly glances at the backseat of the car, only to find it empty. She'd hoped that Donovan would be riding too, but it seemed she was alone with Aiden.

"We all couldn't fit in one car, so the others took a separate one. They'll meet us there" Aiden comments as if he could read her thoughts.

"Oh okay"

Lizzie does a quick calculation, realising that Jack was coming. Despite the information revealed yesterday, it didn't change his ongoing hatred for her. She was surprised that he even bothered to attend lunch, if she was coming.

"Here let me open the door for you". Aidan rushes past Lizzie before she has a chance to reach the car door. "You look beautiful, by the way"

"Thank you" Lizzie responds, quickly hopping into the car. She places her cold hand against her cheek trying to hide the pink blush creeping along it.

Aiden hops in and turns on the ignition, as he pulls out of her driveway, she takes a moment to study him. He looked perfect as usual, his white t-shirt and faded jeans hung off his body like they were made especially for him. Despite the 'casual lunch' she could tell that he'd put some effort into his personal appearance. His expensive cologne clung to the car giving Lizzie the impression he'd sprayed just before he drove to hers.

She casually brings her eyes away from Aiden, staring at him was the last thing she wanted him to catch her doing.

Silence seeped into the car as he drove through town, she didn't know what to say to him without bringing up last night.

"Did you end up getting home okay last night?" Aiden finally asks.

She smiles, "Yes, I did, Cassandra is very safe driver"

He laughs, "She's a little overly cautious at times, but I trust her more behind the wheel than Kat".

Lizzie agreed, only imagining Kat's driving skills.

"Did you enjoy the rest of the party?"

"I did, I managed to avoid being roped into karaoke, but Lizzie I wanted to talk to you about what we discussed last night"

Dread filled her stomach.

He stops at the traffic light, running a hand through his hair, he turns slightly to look at her.

"I hope that I didn't overwhelm you too much last night" He pauses "I was fuming that Henry had brought you to tears and ended up revealing more of our dark history than I should've, I-"

"I'm glad you told me" Lizzie says meeting his gaze as she interrupts him.

The light turns green and Aiden is forced to look ahead.

"It's still a lot for me to process" Lizzie admits, fidgeting with the sleeve of her denim jacket. "But I'd prefer to know than be kept in the dark"

"I know" He acknowledges. "I promise that I'll not to keep you in the dark anymore".