Chapter 25

Lizzie's POV

Lizzie hurried her pace, exiting the loungeroom, she travels past the staircase and straight down the hallway, hoping that no one would be lurking outside in the back garden.

Pressing the answer button as she reaches the end of the hallway, Lizzie prays that Henry was still waiting at the end of the line.

"Hey Lizbeth"

Lizzie releases the sighs of relief that she didn't know she was holding. From the carefree lilt to his voice, Lizzie knew that he was okay.

"Henry how are you?" Lizzie says, glancing behind her to ensure that Kat hadn't followed. His real name was still a secret, and with the unending hostility for Everdale, she doubted that she'd ever reveal his identity.

"I'm good, I'm sorry about last night, someone ended up throwing a brick through my window".

"On the second floor" Lizzie questions her face scrunching with uncertainty as she glances self consciously behind her, the music was still blaring but it felt like there was some semblance of privacy at the end of the house.

"Yeah, crazy right. I went to go investigate and I'm so sorry I completely forgot about calling you back".

Lizzie's gut twists at his words. Henry would never have forgotten to call her. He would've known how worried she'd been. Why was he taking such a casual and dismissive tone on the subject.

"I heard an animalistic growl though before the line was disconnected" Lizzie presses, hoping for an honest answer.

Henry burst into laughter, "Lizzie you make me laugh, why would there be an animal in my room? I must've left a horror movie on"

Lizzie's heart sank at his words, she thought their friendship was stronger than this, that distance wouldn't affect them. His Father had informed her that he'd been watching animal documentaries, but even he had sounded like he'd been lying. Henry hardly watched nature programs and he rarely watched horror either.

But though she tried she couldn't dismiss the terrifying growl over the phone, the sound had haunted her dreams nearly the entirety of last night.

She couldn't understand why he would lie to her, but unless she saw him in person there was no point arguing over the phone.

"Yeah, I guess it was my imagination" she mumbles quietly as Henry recovers from his laughter.

"Where are you? Is that music I hear, Lizbeth are you at a party? The disbelief in his voice, irritates her slightly, however the thought of informing Henry whose party she was attending, was enough to feign connection problems and slowly disconnect from the call.

"Yeah I am, can I call you tomorrow night? It's difficult to hear with the music"

It wasn't a total lie with the music blaring in the background, she had to strain to hear Henry through the phone. She shouldn't even really be talking to Henry at Kat's party it was disrespectful.

"Whose party are you at?" He asks ignoring her suggestion, his voice clipped as if he already knew the answer.

"I'm at Kat's" Lizzie responds stifling her sigh. This whole night was causing her more stress than enjoyment, she should've just stayed home.

There's a long pause before he responds.

"It's not safe at his house, but I know you won't listen to me and I don't want to argue with you". He sighs disappointedly that shame begins to build inside Lizzie.

"Henry, I"

"Don't try and make excuses Lizzie, I thought you trusted me more than them" The disgust evident in his voice.