Chapter 6

Chapter 6

So are you coming to the party this Friday" Donovan asks grabbing another slice of the canteen pizza.

Lizzie couldn't understand how he could stomach the food, she couldn't even distinguish the toppings on the pizza.

"I hope so" She releases a sigh, "I still haven't finished unpacking my clothes, let alone found something nice to wear"

"You don't have to look nice, just chuck anything on"

Cassandra chokes on her food.

"Says the person, who picked up an unwashed top this morning from his bedroom floor" Kat states

Donovan shrugs in nonchalance, giving Lizzie the urge to roll her eyes at his boyish attitude.

"Just borrow something of mine. I have lots of unused dresses"

"Thanks Kat" 

"Tell me Katherine, why do you have so many dresses" Donovan taunts, a smirk resting on his lips.

Cassandra groans under her breath, giving Lizzie the impression that this taunting must occur regularly.

Lizzie observes Jack, as Donovan and Kat argue. He'd done a stellar job at ignoring her all lunch, she just couldn't understand the vendetta he had against her?

Was belonging from Everdale, really something to hold against her? It was almost like he enjoyed sitting in silence brooding over his lunch.

Lizzie switches her gaze before Jack caught her staring. Looking to her left she watches the weather outside, vicious storm clouds ready to strike were rolling in from the north. She prayed they wouldn't bring their vengeance until she arrived home.

Until she received a car, Jayden and her would be catching the bus home. She would've loved to ask Kat, but Lizzie didn't want to burden her new friend with the unnecessary trip.

She hated asking people for favours anyway.

"And where have you been big brother" Kat's voice trickles through her thoughts.

"It doesn't matter, who's the new girl?"

Lizzie's heart skips a beat as she lifts her head.

Standing in front of her was who she assumed to be Aiden, Kat's older brother.

Swallowing nervously, she flicks her eyes up.

His eyes steal hers immediately, vibrant blue capturing her full attention.

Ruffled chestnut hair fell loosely from his head, highlighting his high cheekbones and square jaw. Still under his spell, Lizzie pries her eyes away. His body was toned hiding behind his black top, but Lizzie knew from his build that he was athletic.

He was perfect, paling in comparison to Donovan.

The fact that he was player, played negatively on her mind. Though she knew she'd never have a chance with him.

She could feel his eyes on her, assessing her and her imperfections. Heat rises to her cheeks over her flaws. 

"Mate" he says shocked, breaking their trance immediately. He steps back in denial, staring at Lizzie with confusion, his eyes flick to Jack and Donovan.

"I don't understand" Lizzie says equally confused, everyone was gaping at them from around the table. "You can't be" He shakes his head, refusal still swirling deep in his blue eyes. "I...I have to go"

He turns around running out of the cafeteria, without a second glance at her.

Jack and Donovan slide out of their chairs without a word racing after Aiden.

"Did I do something" Lizzie questions, watching his retreating figure, suddenly feeling bereft.

Kat and Cassandra also have their eyes on the boys watching in utter surprise as they leave.

"Kat" Lizzie says grabbing her attention.

"Does he not like me because I'm from Everdale?"

Sorrow squeezes her heart, for some unknown reason she wanted him to like her.

She reaches over the table squeezing Lizzie's hand in comfort. "Trust me, you've done nothing wrong" Kat stops there, short of words

"But..."

"But nothing" Cassandra asserts, it was the first time that Lizzie heard her speak boldly about something. "I agree with Kat. Don't worry about this"

She pauses for a moment, almost as if she was trying to come up with something to say, "Aiden's dealing with a lot of stress at the moment. He's just acting irrationally"

"Cassandra's right" Kat assures.

Lizzie notices how Kat was quick to jump on board with Cassandra's thoughts. It almost seemed that they weren't revealing the whole truth.

"Maybe I should find somewhere else to sit I...."

"NO" Kat and Cassandra shout with such alacrity that it frightens Lizzie.

"Lizzie your apart of this group now" Kat says adamantly, making Lizzie feel like she just signed up to something before reading the fine print at the bottom.

"This is my brother's problem. Don't leave because of him"

"Okay" She says finally trusting Kat's word and hoping that this wouldn't be a mistake.