Chapter 24

Lizzie's POV

The sky was littered with restless stars as Lizzie walked hastily to Aiden's house. In her silver pumps and slim black dress she hugged her fur coat tighter as the brisk wind carried winter's song through the small town of Norhaven.

Aiden had again offered her a ride, but she'd declined, preferring to clear her thoughts before tonight's party. She'd switched her phone to do not disturb before she decided to give in to Aiden's request to take her to the party.

Lizzie's current plan was to stay by Kat's side tonight and limit her interactions with him. Everything became so confusing when she was around him, she couldn't ignore the pull between them but neither could she deny that everything interaction with him left her with a headache.

Maybe it would be smart to broaden her circle of friends tonight, in case Kat and Aiden had a change of heart. Her chest ached at the thought, but it appeared that things could change very quickly with this group of friends.

Everything had been simpler in Everdale with just Henry and her. Her heart fumbled momentarily at the thought of convincing her best friend that she was keeping her friends close and her enemies closer.

However, Lizzie's gut told her that Henry still wouldn't be pleased and she hated the idea of lying to him, especially since she considered Kat and the others her friends.

Since her phone call with his Father last night, he still hadn't called her. It had unsettled Lizzie especially with the sudden end to the call and animalistic growl that she'd heard had played on her mind all day.

She'd hoped that he'd return her missed calls tonight.

Lizzie hurries her pace as she turns up the street, she was arriving a touch later than she'd said but with the sound of music blasting she'd hope that she could slip in unnoticed.

Their house wasn't hard to spot. A three-storey mansion dwarfing their whole street. She couldn't believe that the two of them just lived in that.

The whole house was lit up as Lizzie walked up to the porch, dodging the beer bottles and plastic cups that already littered the ground, hopefully the rest of Kat's guests had more self-control.

Lizzie slows her steps as she approaches the two front doors were completely open allowing people to flow into and out of the house. Her breath hitches as she finds her friends crowded outside the entry way, by the reflection of the light inside she can immediately tell that Kat and Aiden were arguing over something.

As if Aiden senses her slow approach, he turns his eyes immediately stealing hers, she bites her lip nervously as he breaks away from Kat and storms towards her stopping just breaths away.

"You're okay" he says breathlessly pulling Lizzie into his arms. He holds her close before quickly stepping back his hands still clutching her arms as his eyes scan her body, as if looking for any injuries.

"Of course, I'm fine" Lizzie replies utterly confused, trying to shake his hands off, but his grip only tightens slightly.

Kat and the others join Aiden, Lizzie glances at Kat, her face staunch with worry, a stark contrast from her usual bright and cheery appearance.

The others bore similar faces, worry moulded into their expressions.

"Aiden thought something happened to you" Jack states, pinning her with his full dark stare. "Causing unnecessary stress for the rest of us", he huffs.

Lizzie ignores his last comment as she peers up at Aiden in disbelief. "You can't be serious?"

"This isn't funny Elizabeth" Aiden scolds, as if she was a child.