Chapter 27

Lizzie's POV

We didn't hear the car last night, who gave you a lift home" Lizzie's Mum inquired as she placed the bacon and eggs onto Lizzie's breakfast plate.

"Cassandra did" Lizzie says as she takes a bite of her bacon. To her complete surprise, she ended up enjoying the party last night. After leaving Aiden's room Kat finally introduced her to the other party guests and they surprisingly all welcomed her graciously.

She didn't end up spending any more time with Aiden, but she always felt his presence, watching her as she chatted with Kat's friends. The way the butterflies had danced in her stomach, she knew he'd stayed purposely close.

Lizzie wasn't exactly sure how to feel about this.

She vowed that they were only friends but last night's actions were evident that Aiden desired something more. Everything was happening all at once; she needed more time to process, especially with the new revelations.

Her gut churned, as she recalled the audio message. She couldn't mistake Henry's voice on the phone but neither would she believe that he was responsible for Amelia's dea-.

She shakes her head, halting her thought process, Lizzie wouldn't go down that dark path. She had enough to occupy her thoughts, especially since Henry hadn't stopped sending apology messages all morning.

Her phone buzzes again, sighing she goes to clear Henry's message, but her eyes widen slightly when she see's Aiden's name appear on the screen.

We're all going out for Italian for lunch, Kat asked me to text and see if you'd like to join

Lizzie bites her lip as she reads the message again, she knew without a doubt that Aiden wanted her to join, as Kat would've just texted Lizzie herself.

She takes a bite of her eggs, already turning warm. Lunch could be fun, even though she just saw everyone less than 12 hours ago. It would be good to spend some more time with Aiden when things weren't so tense and try and figure out this friendship he'd promised her.

Lizzie texts back before second guessing herself.

She eats a few more bites of her breakfast, glancing back and forth at her phone as she waits for him to respond.

A smile tugs at her lips as she looks outside the window, she might actually be able to wear a dress and stockings with the way the sun was slowly creeping out behind the clouds.

Her phone buzzes twice but instead of quickly picking it up, Lizzie acts with a casual indifference to not attract any attention, especially from her brother who was sitting across from her, who would happily delight in embarrassing her.

The first message is from Henry,

"Please Lizzie, we need to talk",

She swipes past it before the guilt could settle in. Despite what happened last night, she still considered him her best friend and she couldn't deny that nobody was perfect. She would call him back later tonight.

Her heartbeat increases as her eyes read over the message.

"Great, I'll pick you up at 11:30 then, see you soon"

Her body stills as she glances at the time on her phone,

'Shit' She mutters under her breath, she only had an hour to get ready. The nerves don't disappear as she scoops up the rest of her eggs and packs her plate in the dishwasher.

How could she be so stupid, she thinks taking the stairs two at a time as she races up to her room.

But of course he'd want to pick her up, especially since she'd deflected his attempt last night. She should've been smarter in her response asking where she'd meet, not that it would've made much of a difference.