Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Kat leads Lizzie to a plain wooden unmarked door at the end of the hallway, their chemistry classroom for the semester.

She'd explained that last year's seniors had changed the room numbers to confuse the new juniors to the school. In the time passed, no one had bothered to renumber them. Luckily, Lizzie discovered that Kat was already in most of her classes, making her Lizzie's unofficial tour guide.

Kat pushed open the door waltzing through with Lizzie following shyly behind. Everyone stared as she entered but instead of standing awkwardly at the front of the room like she'd dreaded, Kat grabbed her hand pulling her to a seat at the back.

The room didn't resemble a chemistry classroom, it was painted a basic white with plastic desks planted symmetrically across from each other. There were no workspaces or sinks to conduct experiments however there were long wooden cupboards leaning against the back wall that held their chemistry equipment.

Gaining her attention Kat poked Lizzie's arm, gesturing to the boy beside her, "This is my friend, Donovan"

Lizzie's eyes go wide as she studies him. Donovan looked like he had just stepped out of one of those famous Hollywood films. Wavy blond hair that fell just short of his face, with matching surf blue eyes. He wore a white t-shirt that barely hid his toned body, along with his high cheekbones and flawless smile, he resembled the perfect boy to bring home to her parents.

"Hey" Donovan grins, revealing two rows of perfectly straight white teeth.

"Hi" Lizzie mumbles meekly. She was at an immediate loss for words, expecting him to give off a brusque or uninterested comment due to his perfect looks. She was surprised at his easy-going and relaxed attitude.

Kat leans over whispering in her ear, "Your staring"

Heat rises to Lizzie's cheeks as she swiftly averts her eyes. She bends over to look in her bag to hide her face. As her face begins to cool, she arranges her stationary utensil on her desk.

"I know he's gorgeous" Kat continues in her soft tone. "But sadly, he's already taken"

Lizzie doesn't let the revelation crush her despite her heart still racing fiercely against her chest. She liked being single she reassured herself. Life was uncomplicated.

Kat grabs her essentials for class, lowering her voice she turns to Lizzie.

"Now, I know I'm biased but if you like the look of him you should check out my brother"

"Your brother?" This piqued Lizzie's interest. How many gorgeous people did Kat know?

"Apparently he's the hottest guy in the school at the moment"

"Second hottest" Donovan juts in, leaning over Kat's desk. Lizzie hadn't realised Kat was speaking loud enough for him to hear. "But I would stay away from him Lizzie. You seem like a sweet girl and even though he is my best friend, he has zero respect for the female race"

"He's right" Kat adds disappointedly. "You don't want to be on his radar Lizzie. He's nice to look at but not touch. She laughs to herself cynically,

"He's currently in this off and on relationship with this girl but she'll be gone by the end of the week replaced with some new girl who thinks she'll be the one". Kat sighs, "It frustrates me to death"

"God, he's not that bad" Donovan turns directly to her, his features filled with shock. "You make his sound heartless"

Kat ignores the accusations. "I basically just repeated what you said" She shrugs, "You're not the only person who is allowed to bad mouth my brother" She arches her eyebrows daring him to argue.