Chapter 33

Chapter 33

Lizzie's POV

She knew talking to Henry would be the last thing Aiden wanted, but despite everything that happened he was still her best friend, and his phone call today had provided the Norhaven pack with enough warning to save them all from being slaughtered.

The thought still made her stomach drop. In the space of 12 hours, she had stepped into an entirely new world. There were still countless questions, but she knew Aiden would answer them over time.

She was still in disbelief over the fact that Aiden was the future Alpha of the Norhaven pack. But she knew this title would only cause her more worry, with Aiden endangering his life for the safety and protection of the pack.

Everything was beginning to come together as Lizzie begins think back, the reason why Henry wanted her to stay away from the Blacks, his reaction to Aiden calling her his mate and all the lies he told her throughout their friendship.

The thought tasted bitter on her tongue, how many had he told her over the years.

She knew the longer she thought about it, the more upset she'd become so she distracts herself with the knowledge that she was Aiden's mate.

Lizzie still couldn't wrap her head around it.

It didn't excuse his initial behaviour towards her but she couldn't ignore the excitement that bubbled within her.

He actually liked her.

She could finally stop convincing herself that she didn't want something more than friendship. Lizzie can't help the smile that slips onto her face. Aiden had promised that he'd take things slow and she vowed to herself that she wouldn't become caught up in the romance of it all.

She refused to let Aiden hurt her again. But regardless she couldn't the squeal that escaped her and the excitement that bubbled inside.

...

Lizzie eyes the phone for the tenth time in the last hour, it was close to midnight and she knew that she needed to call Henry.

Picking up the phone, she braces herself for the conversation.

As expected Henry picks up on the first ring.

"Lizbeth?" he questions, his voice sounding hopeful.

"It's me" She says, to be honest she didn't know how to react. The last time they'd properly spoken he demanded she sneak into Aiden's Father's office.

"Lizbeth, I am so so sorry, I don't know what came over me" He says rushed as if he's worried she'll hang up on him. "I was so focussed on attaining information that I completely disregarded our friendship. Lizbeth you mean the world to me, I would never want to lose you, I am so sorry"

Henry's words tugs at her heart.

"I never want to lose you either" Lizzie admits, as she stares out the window into the forest below. Though Henry is her best-friend, she can't help the feeling of guilt that grows inside her, it almost felt like a betrayal to Aiden to want Henry in her life.

Henry's sigh of relief is audible through the phone, "You don't understand how much those words mean to me".

"So" Henry says his voice lighter. "Were you okay after I rang?".

Lizzie knew he was prying for information, but the events of this afternoon wasn't something she could keep from him.

"A rogue nearly killed me today"