Chapter 46

Chapter 46

The forest was beautiful at this time of day, the sun shone faintly through the trees, casting a radiant glow against the fine mist that covered the forest foliage. Despite the sun's appearance, the winter chill still swept through the forest as Lizzie tugged at Henry's jacket pulling it closer to her body. 

Her forest walks with Henry had been of the things that Lizzie had missed the most since leaving Everdale. She'd enjoyed watching the forest change with the seasons and had planned to do this in Norhaven but she'd since discovered the dangers the forest secretly posed. The image of the rogue wolf stepping out of the forest filters across her mind and she shivers. 

She'd had nightmares about that afternoon for weeks now, always the same reoccurring dream. Lizzie hadn't told Aiden about it, hadn't wanted him to worry, especially since he was the one who'd been injured.

Lizzie swallows as she tries to focus her attention on other things, the smell of damp leaves beneath her feet, the birds chirping as they flew from tree to tree. 

She had been very thankful this morning that Henry's Father was busy in town, she wasn't forced to sneak out or answer his questions. It would've caused her a headache if she needed to provided responses which evaded the truth. 

She just wanted to be neutral in this pack rivalry, but Lizzie was beginning to think that it might not be possible.

Henry had assured her that he would try and keep her away from him as much as possible. Lizzie hoped that last night would be his first and final appearance. She honestly didn't know how Henry had managed to live under his Father's rule. She hoped he'd become Alpha soon, he'd make a good and fair Alpha for the Everdale pack. 

She gazed at him beneath her lashes, a smile sliding into place, she was relieved that they had slipped easily back into their friendship. The underlying tension when they spoke on the phone had faded, replaced by easy familiarity.

Henry's gaze shifts towards her and she turns subtly to look at the trees as her heart quickened. After Henry's comment last night, if you were mine, Lizzie didn't want to attract any more attention towards her. She was curious though if there was a way to break the mate bond, but she didn't dare ask.

The thought caused unease to slide into her stomach. She frowns, unsure why this feeling had suddenly appeared. It was almost as if her body was already mated to Aiden despite his actions. The idea that her body could betray her mind, unsettled and infuriated her.  

She needed to attain more information. She didn't want to be in the dark about issues that affected her, especially when it was causing her to feel the opposite of what she was thinking.   Unfortunately it wasn't as if she could research what was happening. 

She could ask Kat but she knew the answer would probably favour Aiden. She couldn't ask Henry either. She didn't want him discovering that she was thinking about the mate bond. 

She didn't want to give him any hope especially when he was destined for someone else. The thought prickled her skin as it grew hot, why was she the one who had to have a cheating mate.

"What are you thinking" Henry asks

"Nothing" Lizzie says quickly as she places what hopes to be a reassuring smile on her face. She needed to stop having these thoughts around Henry. She takes a quiet deep breath in hoping to calm and centre herself. 

He raises an eyebrow and Lizzie knew that he wouldn't settle for her previous response.

"Just that there's a lot I don't know about the werewolf world" Lizzie finally admits with a sigh.