Chapter 3

The day swept by as Lizzie unpacked boxes, trying to transform this magnificent Victorian house into their home. As the sun sank low into the horizon all Lizzie had to show for her progress was a pile of still unopened boxes littered across her floor.

Her parents and brothers were both in similar predicaments. Very little was said at dinner, everyone feeling exhausted after the move this morning.

At the moment she sat cross-legged on her newly made bed. With the phone in her hand, she dialled her best friend Henry's number.

As usual, he answered on the first ring.

"Lizbeth"

She smiled to herself, hearing the sound of his voice sent an unexpected surge of happiness through her.

"Hey, Henry"

"So what's the new town like? How's the house?"

"The house is amazing" Lizzie gushes, surveying her room once again. "And the town well..."
The images of the townsfolk entered her mind again. "Let's just say they looked very uninviting"

Henry laughs, his voice deep that it reverberates through the phone, clutching at Lizzie's heartstrings. She wished that she could be sitting right there next to him

"Don't worry about them. I'm sure they'll warm up to you in no time. But anyway, most importantly how are you feeling"

She hesitates for a moment. There was so much she wanted to tell Henry, but she didn't need to burden him with all her insecurities about attending a new school. She opts for a less complicated answer hoping that he doesn't notice.

"I'm okay. My bedroom is a mess at the moment, it's an effort just to enter"

He sighs, and she knows immediately that he's heard through her lies.

"Lizbeth, how long have I known you for"

"Too long" she grumbles

"How are you actually feeling, what's going on in that mind of yours"

She sighed, he knew her well.

"I'm concerned about school tomorrow"

Going to school hadn't worried her until they had driven through town today. Being the outsider in a new town was hard enough but being the new kid in school where everyone already new everyone was ultimately worse.
She knew her brother Jayden would make friends, his likeable and talkative nature made it easy for him.

But Lizzie wasn't as sociable as her brother, she was lucky that Henry had become her friend at such a young age, taking her basically under his wing. She never really understood why he'd became her friend. Lizzie considered herself plain with her unusual auburn hair and brown eyes. With Henry's God-worthy looks, he honestly could've been friends with anyone.

"You should've seen the way they stared at us as we drove through town. I might as well have a huge label printed with bold black letters on my back saying "I'M NEW"."

"You're over exaggerating this Lizbeth. I think you'll be surprised with the number of humans there will be to make friends with"

She frowns at his words. Wasn't everyone human?

"Humans?"

"Sorry, I've been watching too much science fiction on TV. What I meant was they'll be plenty of people to be friends with."

"Yes. But will they want to be friends with me?"

If she thought about it for long enough, Henry was her only true friend. She wasn't friends with many girls, most of them were jealous of her relationship with Henry that they ignored her.

"Lizbeth seriously stop thinking so hard. I can hear those wheels turning from all the way over here.

Her lips curve upwards at his words

"There idiots, if they don't want to be friends with you"

At his words, some of the tension is released from her shoulders. "Thanks Henry, I honestly don't know how I'm going to cope without you"

"Your not"

She raises her eyes to the heavens as laughter fills the other side of the phone.

"Why are you always so horrible to me," She asks before she slowly joins in on his laughter. 

The moon rises and slowly begins its descent down to earth as Henry and Lizzie continue talking. Lizzie was wrapped in her quilt trying to keep warm as the cold night air seeps through the crack in-between the French doors.

Time always seemed to fly so quickly when she talked to Henry, glancing at the clock she couldn't believe the time.

She hears Henry's Father's voice filtering through the phone, yelling something incoherent.

"I've got to go Lizbeth, but I forgot to mention at school tomorrow stay away from the Blacks.

"The Blacks?" This was a strange request, Henry was normally friendly with everyone. For him to warn her against someone was weird, almost odd.

"Do you know them?"

"Not personally" He sighs. "Look I've got to go, Dad's calling again. I'll talk to you again tomorrow night just trust me on this. Stay away from them"

"Okay," She whispers as the line on the other end goes dead.

She hangs up the phone, placing it on her small bedside table next to the bed. She trusted Henry, to know that it was probably a wise idea to stay away from the Blacks, whoever they were. Though she would spend the rest of the early morning, questioning Henry's strange request.

Snuggling into bed she quickly succumbs to sleep.