Chapter 13

Lizzie's POV

Lizzie was shocked at her own vulgar language, she had never felt hatred for someone as much as she did for Aiden in that one moment. She finally understood why Henry warned her to stay away from the Blacks.

She watches happily as the distance between Aiden and her increases. She didn't care anymore about beating him. All she really wanted to do was go home and go to bed, maybe even pay for an overpriced taxi to Everdale. She needed to see Henry, just one hug from him and everything would be okay.

Aiden completes the laps achieving the fastest time, she watches in envy as the coach congratulates him.

Lizzie finishes second but receives no acknowledgement.

She didn't need praise but a little recognition was always nice.

Stifling a sigh, she walks to the changeroom with only her thoughts to keep her company. The bell had just rung as Lizzie changes back into her clothes.

Aiden was wrong, Kat seemed sincere, but doubt plagued her, how much did she really know about these people? She shoves the oncoming headache to the back of her mind, she'd deal with the situation at home, whilst drinking a steaming mug of hot chocolate.

Chocolate solved everything, well almost.

Everyone had left by the time she'd finished changing. Her next problem was enduring the bus trip back home. Despite trying to remain 'glass half full', she couldn't stop thinking of the possibility of Aiden's words being true. Henry had always called her gullible, maybe she'd been played by Kat?

Stop! The girl's changeroom was not the place to be thinking of this.

Leaning down to collect her bag, fiery pain spreads sharply through her abdomen. Swallowing, she slowly straightens up as she clutches her stomach tentatively. The pain had retreated but Lizzie still walks slowly out of the change-room.

She runs through the dates in her head but her menstrual cycle wasn't supposed to appear for another week and a half.

Taking a calming deep breath, Lizzie walks to her locker. Dizziness steals her momentarily, forcing Lizzie to slow and lean against the walls.

The hallways were devoid of any students, leaving Lizzie to deal with this affliction alone.

The pain strikes again, and Lizzie bites her tongue to keep from screaming out. She wasn't a child, she could deal with whatever this was. A loose tear leaks out of her eye as she slumps onto the floor clutching her stomach.

Feeling like she wouldn't make it home, she reaches for her phone when another wave of dizziness hits her, Lizzie closes her eyes trying to regain her sense of equilibrium and calm her panicky heart.
Everything was going to be okay, she tried to reassure herself.

"Lizzie" Kat's voice filters into her head. "Lizzie" Kat shouts, panic tinging her voice.

Lizzie's eyes peel open finding Kat, along with Donovan, Jack and Cassandra looming over her.

"What's wrong?" Kat kneels by Lizzie, her face awash with concern.

"It feels like someone's lit a fire in my stomach. I don't know what caused this, it couldn't have been something I ate."

"What happened in gym, where is Aiden?"

Lizzie narrows her eyes at Kat, confused by the random change in question. Her eyes sweep over Donovan, Jack and Cassandra, noticing the silent communication passing between the three of them.

"Lizzie" Kat demands, stealing her attention away.

"I gave him a choice about me. He didn't take it well." She grits.

Kat looks up at Donovan, communicating something indecipherable.

"You're taking the bus aren't you" Jack asks stepping forward, his face was calm, but his disgust for her still swelled deeply in his coal eyes.

"I was supposed to, but I'm going to call my parents"

"We'll drop you home Lizzie" Kat offers.

"Thanks, Ka- woah, what are you doing Jack?"

Jack had bent down gracefully picking up Lizzie in bridal style. Lizzie's eyes go wide, this was uncharacteristic of him.

Leaning against his chest, Lizzie shuts her eyes unconsciously in an effort to block out the pain.

"Aiden's not going to be happy." She catches Donovan whispering to Jack

He grunts in return, "It's his fault his mates in pain. Would he rather us leave her on the floor?"

"It can't be Aiden's fault" Lizzie rasps, but unconsciousness seizes her before she can hear his response.