Chapter 23

Lizzie's POV

Lizzie couldn't believe that Aiden lived in this house. The three storey modern wood cabin was perfectly architecture, melding into the forest landscape bordering the house.

Lizzie's eyes grew wide flitting from the large balcony's at each level, to the countless windows that jutted out, allowing plenty of sunlight to seep easily in and warm the house.

Aiden slips his fingers through Lizzie's bringing her attention back. She glances up at him letting a loose smile form as she gently pulls her fingers out from his.

Aiden swallows averting his eyes forward to the door. She wasn't ready for Aiden to turn his interests towards her. She needed to set up clear boundaries to ensure they only remained as friends.

God only knows the migraine that would be waiting if she told Henry that they were dating- she'd probably risk their friendship aswell, the thought turned sour in her mind.

The squeak of the doorknob snaps Lizzie back as Aiden opens the door revealing a large opening area lit up by a decadent light feature. The area tapered off into a long hallway, leading out to large French doors which opened up into their garden.

Lizzie flicked her attention to the wall, scanning the numerous photos that hung reflecting pictures spanning back from generations.

Lizzie paused at a photo of Aiden and Kat smiling whilst sitting on a tree branch.

"I was eight when that photo was taken" Aiden commented standing next to Lizzie.

"You look happy" She noted staring at a carefree boy, not burdened by the worries of the world.

"Aren't I always happy?" Aiden jokes bringing back some light-heartedness

Lizzie gives a small shake of her head, raising her eyes. "Both you and Jack should study this picture and understand what actual happiness looks like"

Aiden laughs but Lizzie notes the underlying tension. She curses herself for ruining the moment. She'd momentarily forgotten how close Jack and Aiden were.

Aiden clears his throat, "Let's head into this room here whilst we wait". He doesn't meet Lizzie's eyes as he walks into the room.

Lizzie stifled a sigh as she steps into the other room, cautioning herself to think before she talks.

The warmth of the fire was the first thing Lizzie felt as she enters the room, coffee brown leather couches surrounded the fire whilst the two bay windows to the right flooded the room in light.

"The Doctor should be here shortly" Aiden states as he gestures towards the couch.

She nods taking a seat.

"I can't believe that you live in a house like this" She admits in an effort to reignite the conversation.

He chuckles, "This house has been passed down from father to son for generations, eventually it'll be passed down to me and then I'll pass it down to our" Aiden freezes worry crossing his face before he recovers " and then I'll pass it down to my son"

"What a lovely tradition" Lizzie responds not understanding Aiden's concern.

"Doc thank you for coming" Aiden states

Lizzie turns her head as a middle aged man wearing a casual t-shirt and shorts enter. He strode in confidently, his warm blue eyes meeting hers as a smile graces his face.

Lizzie naturally returns the smile but she can't help but gaze at his summer clothing. Despite the heat of the fire, she still required her jeans and heavy coat to stay warm.