Chapter 39

Chapter 39

Lizzie's POV

"All done". Her mum says as she pulls the curling iron away from her hair leaving a perfect curl in it's place.

Lizzie turns to glance in the mirror, finding herself almost unrecognizable. Thick beautiful curls fell by her side framing her face. She had decided to do her own makeup despite Kat's pleas to join them in going to a makeup artist, she knew she'd end up looking like a pale porcelain doll or worse a clown.

Lizzie had completed her own makeup instead, taking her time to apply it, unlike her rushed efforts in the school mornings.

Looking in the mirror, she knew it was simple but it had accentuated her features without making her unrecognizable.

A knock at the door startles them and Lizzie quickly glances at her watch, she still had another thirty minutes before Aiden arrived.

"I'll go see who that is" Her Mum says, leaving Lizzie alone in the bathroom.

Since Aiden had surprised her with the picnic she hadn't stopped thinking about him and their kiss. She knew Aiden was still thinking about it too with they way he found any opportunity to sneak small kisses on her arms and cheeks between classes.

"It's a package for you" Her Mum announces stepping into her bedroom. At just one look at the bag, Lizzie knew exactly what was inside.

"I can't believe he bought it" Lizzie says in shock as she takes the bag from her Mum. Peering inside, Lizzie pulls out the note.

My Elizabeth

You deserve to wear the dress of your dreams tonight.

I'll see you soon

Love Aiden

Lizzie's heart swells with emotion as she re-reads the note, he truly cared for her. She places the note on the bench before pulling out the package and slowly unwrapping the tissue paper.

Her Mum's gasp mirrors her own as she holds the silver dress, the sparkles reflecting in the evening sun.  

"Lizzie, this is too much" her Mum states as she turns the dress around

"I know, this is the one Kat wanted me to buy but the price was way over budget"

"I wish your Father still did things like this for me" She says looking at the door as if her Father was outside listening. "I'll leave you to put the dress on, call me if you want any help"

She nods still staring at the note and dress in disbelief.

...

"How are you feeling" Aiden asks as he pulls into the school car park. He hadn't stopped looking at her since arriving at her house. 

"A little nervous" Lizzie admits. She turns looking out the window, the music was already playing as people rushed from their cars into the school to escape the night's chill. 

She hears Aiden shift in his seat and she glances towards him He leans over entwining his hands in hers. Lizzie's skin tingles at the touch.

"You look beautiful"

"Thank you" Lizzie whispers

"This will be fun, and trust me I'll be by your side the entire night"

"Promise" Lizzie says, her eyes connecting with his.

"I promise" He says landing a kiss on the back of her palm. 

"I could honestly drive us back to my house and spend the rest of the night alone with you"

Lizzie's breath catches in her throat.