Chapter 29

Dabi's POV: flashback~

Sitting next to the riverside whereas we usually hung out we were throwing rocks in the water to pass the time.

"Ah did you see it? I threw further than you!" She bragged, but then I bent down to collect another rock from the ground, stood back up and used all my strength to throw it away as far as I could, easily surpassing (y/n). "Huh? Cheater..." She pouted.

"No, just stronger than you baby that's all." I chuckled and grabbed my beer bottle to chug down a bit of it. She did the same with her's then sat down on the stairs whereas we usually hung out. I followed her and sat down next to her.

"These days you go to work for the league a lot of times... It's been a while since we could hang out like this." She watched the moonlit river, admiring how beautiful it looked as the moon reflected on the water.

In the background we could hear several cars passing by, but not much people were outside on the streets. It was 2 am afterall and I just arrived back from a tiring, shitty mission.

"I have to, you know that." I replied to her, lazily resting my arm on my knee, holding the beer bottle with the other.

"I know but... Sometimes you disappear for days and you leave my messages on seen... it worries me a lot... I miss you, Dabi..." She pulled her knees to her chest and rested her chin on it. The sadness could be easily read out of her expression.

"I'm right here." I said.

She let out a 'tsk' sound and turned the other way. "You know what I meant..."

"Babe, I have to go on these missions and I don't have time to write back to you in the middle of it." I sighed.

"Oh yeah? Then how do you have time to read them? This is bullshit..." She muttered.

I pursed my lips. She had no idea how things went among the league. Of course I missed several meetings and other shit, but sometimes there were a few musts I had to do. And these last few weeks are exactly like that. Therefore I couldn't really pay attention to anything else. This also included that I couldn't focus on (y/n) that much either.

"I'm sorry." I muttered under my nose. Nothing better popped in my mind to say.

"Nevermind..." She just sighed, then stood up, approaching the riverside again. "Dabi, can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

She turned around to face me, pausing for a moment before speaking again. "Why don't you use your real name?"

I raised my brows. "What do you mean? Dabi is my name." I lied, because nobody knows my real identity and I'm not planning to tell it to anyone yet.

"Oh come on, I know it isn't. It means cremation." She said.

I always forget that despite what a sassy and fierce little brat she is sometimes that she's also very smart. It was only a matter of time she figured. I knew it would happen someday, but right now I found it unexpected and it caught me off guard.

"How are you so sure about it? Isn't that possible that my parents gave me this name when I was born?" I shrugged, trying to avoid answering.

She walked up to me and squatted on the ground in front of me with big, curious eyes. They were almost sparkling at me. "What's your real name?"

I stared back at her, licking my lips as I tried to figure out an excuse why I won't tell her the truth.

"I'm not going to tell you." This was lame... But nothing else came to my mind.