TPC - 1

CELA'S POV - 8:30am

'Come on Imani, you know I don't like being late' I shouted to my sister Imani as I scurried outta my bathroom.

'Oh whatever, we start at 9:15, we got time' she sassed me as she fluffed her curls and rolled her eyes at me, walking back into my room.

Me and Imani are sisters, but she's 16 and I'm 17. We are really close and it's just her, me, our brother David and our mama. We don't really see our dad as much anymore cause he stopped answering our calls and he a weirdo anyway. David is 19 and he always outta the house, doing whatever, I don't know.

Our mama works nights, and we go to school in the day, so it's just me and Imani at home basically.

'Remember I'm the one driving you, with your slow ass' I joked with her and she laughed as we finally left out of the house to go to school.

'I got tests all morning, Im really not feeling today' Imani said as we pulled out of the driveway.

'You ain't study did you?' I asked her and she looked at me and we just bussed out laughing.

Imani was never really the 'academic' type, she ain't really like school or books. That's where we differed, I loved studying but loving school was a different story.

I had my 2 friends, but other than that, I didn't talk to anyone and I'm sure people didn't really even know who I was. I have social anxiety, and I struggle to make friends. That's always been hard for me, and being in high school just heightened that, cause I felt like I was always being watched.

I've always been the bigger friend or a bigger girl, so I always stuck out. And suffering with social anxiety, I really hated it, and I always just walked with my head down.

Our school banned masks, but when we were in the pandemic I was thriving, cause that meant I could cover my face and hide myself even more. I mean I knew I was pretty, I guess it was just my body.

'Girl, we late. You owe me something for this. Stupid ass' I joked as we got out of the car and walked into school quietly.

'See you later sister, love you' she said to me and we air kissed and went our separate ways for the day.

After school - 3pm

Because we were late to school, our stupid school gave us detention. I don't understand, I'm actually 17, what do I have to be in detention for? My shift starts at 5 and I still needed to get home and shower, so I could get there on time.

'Girl this is your fault. If I'm late for work, imma beat your ass' I whispered to Imani as we sat in detention with the other students at school.

'Girl whatever' she laughed quietly and faced back forward as the teacher who was watching detention walked in.

After detention - 3:45pm

'I don't get it, we was 1 minute late, why are we getting a 45 minute detention? I should sue the school at this point' Imani said as we drove home. I laughed, but deep down I was scared that I was gonna get in trouble with work.

I don't like problems and I need this job, I like to buy my own stuff, I don't like to rely on my mama. I mean, she's already got my sister to worry about, she don't need to worry about me too.