TPC - 31

CELA'S POV - next day 4:00pm...

My mama ordered me and Mar to the house today, and I wasn't feeling it. As much as I love Imani and I loved our bond, I wasn't gonna take her disrespecting me, and she embarrassed me, and that's not something I'd ever forget. Regardless of whether or not my mama says we should or not.

I finished getting dressed, wearing some black sweatpants and a white tee, with some Ugg Slides.

40 minutes later...

'You ready to go mama?' Mar asked me and I nodded. 'Ight let's go. If we're late your ma gon get on my ass, when it's actually you' he said as we locked up the house and walked towards his house.

'Whatever' I said, waving him off as we both into his car.

We buckled up, or I did, and we drove off.

'You need to start wearing your seatbelt' I said and he rolled his eyes at me. 'Sorry? What was that look?'

'Girl bye' he joked and I rolled my eyes. 'You happy now?' He said as he quickly buckled up.

'That's what I thought, yeah' I joked and he mugged me.

'Huh? I ain't here you, what you said?' He asked me and I rolled my eyes at him. 'Yeah, that's what I thought'

***

We pulled up outside my mama's house and I took a deep breath before leaving the car. I wasn't nervous or nothing, I just wanted to get it over with. I rang the doorbell, and Tariq answered it, looking all broken, bruised and bandaged up. I turned back to look at Mar, who looked straight past me, giving Tariq a death stare.

He stepped aside and let me and Mar get in before closing the door behind us.

'We at the table' my mama shouted and we walked straight in there.

'Hey mama' I said, sitting down beside her and kissing her on the cheek.

'Hey baby, hey son, how are y'all doing?' She asked me and Mar and I heard Mani scoff. I looked at her and she put her head straight down. Weird ass bitch.

'Mama we good. Can you just tell us why we here? Please' I said to her as politely as I could, as Mar sat beside me.

'Well for starters, I don't like the attitude from either of you right now. Cela, explain what happened to me. From the beginning. I've already heard your sisters side, plenty of times' my mom said and I sat up in my seat, and cleared my throat before talking.

'Well, your daughter is weird. Her and Tariq have been together for a while, and all I did was question why neither of them told me. After all, he was my friend first, and Imani was my only sister' I started and Imani looked up when I said the word 'was'. 'Then she started talking about how I'm jealous of her relationship, and some other hurtful things about me. Then she took it to social media, and jumped me with all her friends the next day' I said and sighed, sitting back in my chair.

'Imani, how could you? Over a boy? And what happened to you?' Mama asked, now talking to Tariq.

'Nun' he said plainly, trying to shrug her off, but mama wasn't buying nun of it. I didn't buy it either, and I just knew Mar had something to do with it, which was what I was trying to avoid in the first place.

'Don't lie baby. Tell mama what really happened. How MARCEL beat you up and shot you in your kneecap, to die in that alleyway' she said, shaking her head at me and Mar.

My mama rubbed her forehead and sighed. And so did Tariq.

'You know Imani, why don't you tell mama how I even found out about you and Tariq in the first place. What was y'all doing in here, when mama was at work?' I asked her and she put her head down, looking all guilty. 'You is not innocent in all this, nor will you ever be the victim, no matter how hard you try'

'And yes, I know that violence is never the answer, but it was provoked. Tariq was the one pinning my arms down, whilst you and your friends stomped and beat the shit outta me, knowing I couldn't fight back. So I'm not gonna apologise for what Marcel did, cause y'all have yet to apologise to me' I started and stared at my mama.

'I'm sorry mama, but this' I said pointing between me and Imani 'will never ever happen again. This ain't my sister no more. Fuck you Imani' I said getting you and grabbing Mar's hand. 'Let's go baby' I said and we walked out.

'I'd do it all over again Tariq. You touch my girl again and I'm gon turn you on your ass all over again. Pussy' Mar said and I dragged him away.

We got back into his car and I just burst into tears. My mama walked out 1 minute later and I wiped my tears away.

'Baby, come on out for a second' my mama said, and I got out of the car.

She pulled into a hug and I hugged her back. 'It's okay baby' she said, rubbing my back.

'All I've ever done was be there for her, and she goes and throws it back in my face, saying hurtful stuff like that mama? Nah' I said, as tears rolled down my face. 'I can't live here for right now mama, I just need a break' I said and she nodded.

'I'll talk to her. Atleast I know you are in good hands' she said through a smile. 'Go and get some rest, and I'll call you tomorrow' she said and kissed me on my head.

'Okay, love you mommy' I said and she smiled.

'I love you too Cela' she said and I got back into the car.

'You Ight Cee?' Mar asked me and I shrugged.

'I guess'

IMANI'S POV - at the house...

Mama walked back into the house and sat back at the table.

'Go on home Tariq, I need to talk to my daughter' she said and Tariq nodded, and limped out of the room, and then out of the house completely.

'You need to make this right with your sister Imani. And what am I hearing you're having sex in my house?' She shouted and I put my head down.

'How am I meant to make it right with her, if she doesn't want anything to do with me' I responded and my mama held her hands up.

'That's for you to figure out. You need to find a way, this is all your fault to begin with. Matter of fact, give me that damn phone. Ion know why I gave it back to you' she said and I handed it to her.

She hit the phone on the table, shattering the screen to pieces and throwing it in the trash.

'Get the fuck out of my face' she said and I felt my face get hot with tears.

I walked up into my room and cried into my pillow. Eventually I drifted into a deep sleep...

CELA'S POV - back at the house...

I been thinking a lot about my future, and other than my mama and Mar, ion have nothing keeping me here anymore. I was thinking of going to a college away from here, but I don't know how I could afford it, and how my mama and Mar would react.

'What you thinking about mama?' Mar asked me, as he placed my legs on his lap, as he played his game.

'My life, my future. If I wanna go to college and even where I wanna go to college' I said, and he paused his game to look at me.

'What you mean?' He asked, looking at him.

'Like I have nothing really keeping me here once I finish school, other than you and my mama. I just want a change, maybe it'll be good for me' I explained, and Mar looked sad. 'What's wrong?'

'Nun' he said unpausing his game, and putting his headset back on.

Writers Comment :

What do y'all think of the Dining Room Scene?

Who's side are you on? Cela's, Imani's, Tariq's or Mar's?

What do you think about Cela's thoughts on college? Should she go?

What do you think of Mar's reaction?

Thoughts and Concerns :