Secrets and Siblings

Wren

Sunlight is streaming in through the kitchen window while Mom and Quin stand next to each other cooking; I can smell bacon and eggs. The oven light is on so maybe there are biscuits or something too. Everything about the space from it's creamy white cabinets to the show my mother is putting on makes it seem like we live in an idyllic world, but at least I know that's far from the truth.

I can tell that Kil feels awkward as we step into the kitchen, but I don't get much time to calm him down before my mother turns around to face us, "Good morning, you two, how did you sleep?" Mom asks.

The way she is standing there in her fairisle print sweater dress like she is the mother of the year is pissing me off.

I really don't want to talk to her especially before coffee but Kilian looks at me like he wants me to answer for him so I do, "Good mom," I say coolly.

I'm trying to let her know that I'm still pissed at her from last night without making drama in front of Quin. Quinny must not have really seen the full picture of everything last night, or she doesn't understand what happened, because the mousey little girl from last night seems gone and in her place is a happy pre-teen with a huge smile.

It might be easier for Quin to forgive Mom since she is younger and usually Mom doesn't lash out at Quin. I don't know how she does with Dad but I'm pretty sure I'm my mother's favorite scratching post. Well, if Mom thinks that I will just forgive and forget without at least a conversation she is sorely mistaken.

"I hope you weren't cold in the loft, Kilian," Mom smiles at Kil but when her gaze shifts to me she says, "I noticed Wren didn't fetch the extra blankets from the hall closet for you," in a biting tone but even still she smiles through her scowl.

"It was perfect Mrs. McCauley, I run hot," Kilian says like he's nervous.

Mom is smirking at me like she thinks she's won some kind of battle or something. Sure she might know Kilian slept in my bed but she already told me a long time ago that she would be okay with that. Even if she tells Dad, I don't care if they are mad at me because they force me to be the adult of the house when it's convenient for them. I'm almost eighteen and it's time to start making my own decisions. So I feel like who I sleep next to should be up to me.

I break eye contact with Mom to glance at Quin but when she looks at me she wiggles her eyebrows like a cartoon character. I'm not sure what the smirk on her face means, for now I have bigger fish to fry. Still, I can't help wondering, what is going on with her?

"Where's Dad?" I ask to break the silence.

"He's still in bed honey, I'm sure he'll be along for breakfast," Mom replies.

Honey. Ugh. The scowl on my face must be obvious because Kil steps in to try to save me.

"Are we still building a gazebo today?" he interjects.

"I think so dear, once Shane has his mind set on something he rarely changes it," she replies as she turns around to face the stove again.

Now that our eye war is over, I'm going to take this opportunity to get some space from her and my feelings, "Mom, I'm going to run Kilian home really quick so he can change and get his brother. We'll be back before breakfast is over," I say as I grab Kilian's wrist and start towards the living room.

I don't feel like I need to wait for Mom's answer but I'm not home free yet because Quin follows us into the hall.

She flips her ginger red hair over her shoulder and scoffs like a valley girl, "You're welcome," she says, under her breath, "I covered for you."