The Deep End

Wren

The music slows down and Gael sidles up close to me, "Let's keep dancing," he says, putting his hands on my hips. 

I put my arms up around his neck and we sway to the music, it's nice, like actually really nice. His aftershave smells like pine and peppermint, and his body is warm against mine. I've danced with all of these boys more times than I can count, but this feels different, I can feel Gael's eyes on me and it's more intense somehow. Another slow song starts to play as I feel a hand on my shoulder.

"Sorry bro, mandatory best friend dance," Kilian says, "Can I cut in? I'll bring her back in one piece."

Gael smiles and steps back, then it takes no time for Kilian to pull me close to him. With his arms wrapped around my back, it's natural to drape mine over his shoulders. 

He's so tall that I almost can't reach his neck comfortably but he bends down and whispers in my ear, "You're killing it tonight, hands down, the best looking girl here, you're a shining star."

Before I can say anything, he twirls me around, then pulls me back to his chest.

I manage to get out, "Are you having a good time?"

"Now I am," he replies, looking into my eyes. 

His mouth twitches into a smirk and he's smoldering at me. What is going on right now!? I decide that I just need to enjoy this for what it is and rest my head on his chest, breathing in the scent of him, cedar, leather and musk. It's an actual wonder that I am able to control myself around this guy. 

The song comes to an end and I'm clearly flustered so I excuse myself to the restroom to get my head back in the game. I'm standing in front of the mirror in the ladies room, all the surrounding girls are fixing their hair and makeup but I'm desperately patting my neck with a wet paper towel trying to quell my blushing.

A girl from my Lit class, Riley, bumps my hip, "Kilian looks like a fox tonight," she says with a knowing look.

"Oh uh, yeah, I'm here with Gael though," I answer.

"He's always foxy, you're lucky," she says with a giggle.

"Um yeah, thanks, I like your dress," I say trying to be polite, I've literally only ever spoken like five words to this girl before and I don't know what's going on right now.

"Thanks girl! Well, have fun, I've gotta get back to the dance floor," she says as she heads out of the bathroom.

I stand there a few more minutes waiting for my skin to return to its usual color and catch my breath before I head back out to the gym. Declan and Gael are leaning against the bleachers, and I don't see Kilian. 

I walk up behind Gael thinking I'm going to get away with a jump scare but then I hear him say, "I felt bad for her."

Um! What? It might be dumb to assume he's talking about me, but who else would he be talking about? My stomach drops and I feel sick, tears are welling up in my eyes and I turn to walk out of there as fast as I can. I make my way outside and the coast is mostly clear, there are just a few random people chatting outside so I succumb to my tears and let them fall. 

I walk all the way to the end of the sidewalk and sit down to take my shoes off before I schedule a ride home with my phone because there is just no way I'm going back in there. Good plan Wren, run from your problems again, but right now I don't know what else to do.

Gael

Being here with Wren is so much better than I ever imagined, I'm having the best time dancing with her and when the first slow song plays I make my move. She looks so beautiful, I can't stop looking at her. When she's in my arms, I can smell her dark and moody scent and can't help but breathe it in. This is definitely some more than friends feelings I'm having right now. Heat is radiating off of my body because I'm nervous, dancing is one thing, but how would I even begin to explain to her what's going on in my head?

The dance is over too soon, but a new song starts to play and I have every intention of staying right here and enjoying this moment until Kilian cuts in. I knew he'd want to dance with her at least once, better to get it over with so I just step aside.

I head back towards the bleachers because I really don't want to watch Kilian and Wren but they are literally right in the middle of the floor, it's like all the light in the room is aimed at them. I see him wrap his arms around her and lean down to say something to her, they are really close, too close. I don't like the rage that is boiling up in my belly. I do my best to force it down and decide to go get some snacks.

Wren eventually returns to me but says she needs to go to the restroom so I'm left just standing on my own for a while eating pretzels until Riley from my Lit class saunters up to me and asks me to dance. This is a good distraction, even though I really don't want to dance with her. Wren is in the bathroom anyway. I share a dance with Riley, then look around and still don't see Wren anywhere.

"Well, I'm going to go get some punch," I say to get away from Riley, and I spot Declan by the table and join him.

"So, how's your exploration going?" he asks.

"Have you seen her tonight? It's going great! I'm so happy I decided to ask her," I say, a little too excited.

"Uh huh, you're whipped," he says, smirking at me.

"It's new to have feelings about Wren but she's hot, I'm crushing a little," I admit.

"Then why were you just dancing with what's her name?" he asks accusingly.

"I felt bad for her," I offer.

Declan gives me a disapproving look and gets pulled away by some blonde freshman who is looking at him like he's a god. At least he's enjoying himself. 

I set off to look for Wren but she's not anywhere in the gym, I'm starting to get a little worried when I ask a girl who just came out of the bathroom if she's in there and she says no. I go back to the gym and find Kilian, he doesn't know where she is either, so I pull my phone out of my pocket hoping she has text me, she hasn't but I text her instead.

[Gael]: What happened? I can't find u 

After looking around for a while, I have no other option than to surmise that she left. She left? I wonder if Kilian said something to her, we were having a good time, I thought. Before I leave I find the guys and make sure they'll find a way home and they both want to stay so I leave on my own.

[Gael]: Wren?

[Gael]: just tell me ur ok