The Big Day

Kilian

I'm standing behind Wren as she looks herself over in the mirror, it almost looks like she is tearing up so I pull her into a hug.

"I'm sorry that I'm being a downer, I'm so in my head about everything that is going on right now. I never know what I'm going to get with my dad and well last week I kind of thought my mom would be helping me get ready for this dance but now I'm on my own, I'm just feeling a little depleted," she says.

"That's okay, everyone feels down sometimes, it's been a tough few days but you're a rock star, you've got this, and you're never on your own," I say.

She pulls away from me and giggles, "So I can count on you to do my hair tomorrow?"

"Not sure if that is the best idea," I say laughing, "But you know I would try."

"I do, that's why you're my best friend," she says, smiling. "Let me get out of this and maybe we can go for a walk or something, unzip me?" she asks, turning around.

Ugh, doesn't this woman know what she's doing to me? I carefully slide the zipper down her back revealing a peek at her black lace bra and I'm thankful that the zipper ends before it gets to her ass because I don't know if I could handle that. She walks out of the room as casually as ever and swings her hips in her classic, nonchalant way. I'm holding my breath to keep myself calm. One more day, tomorrow night, everything is going to happen and I'll know what to do, just gotta get through one more day.

After Wren comes back dressed in her jeans and a Bang Out of Order t-shirt we decide to take a walk around the block. It's a little colder outside than it has been and it's nice to take in the fresh air.

"This week has felt like an entire year," she says finally.

Until then, we were walking in comfortable silence, "Tell me about it, it feels like homecoming is going to be some big huge end to this, hopefully a happy end," I say.

"Well, all I know is that if we've gotten through all of this, then we'll be okay," she says.

I put my arm around her waist and gave her a side hug, "As long as we're together."

"I had an idea for our tattoos," she says.

We have been planning to get our first tattoos together once we are both eighteen. Her birthday is two weeks before mine but she wants to wait for me.

"Fill me in," I spout excitedly.

"I don't know if this is weird but I was thinking we could get coffins, put all this bad shit in that coffin and close it up and lay it to rest," she explains.

"I kind of love that idea, that is much better than anything else we've come up with," I reply.

 "Yeah, anytime we see it, it can be a reminder that we're leaving that stuff in the past, living in the now," she says.

"You have the best ideas!" I say.

I walk her back to her house and say good night before I jump on my bike and head home.

...

Gael

It's the big day, I'm getting dressed for school this morning and sort of want to look better than normal. It's the night that I can finally have Wren essentially to myself. I know the others will be there, but there is something about dancing the night away with Wren that has me pretty excited. I dig out a Motley Crue t-shirt I know she likes and my favorite black jeans before I brush my teeth and try to fix myself up, a little extra after shave can't hurt.

When I get to school, I head to the coffee cart to find my friends. Wren is standing with Declan and Kilian and her long hair is in a big thick braid. She looks so pretty. With her hair off her face and neck, it's easier to see how beautiful she really is. I'm getting pretty hyped for tonight as I head over to meet them.

"Hey bro, we were just talking about tonight, we'll meet at Wren's at six so we can do our pics and stuff," Kilian says.

"Sure, works for me," but I quickly turn my attention to Wren, "I like the new look," I say gesturing towards her hair.

"It's all prep for tonight, Quin is on hair duty," she says, giggling.

"I'm sure it will be great," I say and I know that I look like a dope but I can't help myself, I'm pretty sure this is a crush.

We all hang around until the warning bell rings and then we head towards homeroom. I catch up with Wren throughout the day whenever I can and carry her bag for her because I know her shoulder is still pretty messed up. That's my excuse anyway, but if I'm being honest, I would probably carry her books for her every day if she wanted me to. I still haven't quite figured out how I'm going to handle tonight so I have decided that I won't make a plan, I'll just go with the flow and do what feels right. 

After school, I head home to shower and get ready for the dance. I've got some red roses for Wren because I decided it was a classy move. I know this isn't prom so she doesn't need a corsage or whatever but it doesn't mean I can't bring her flowers. Kilian asked me to grab him on the way to Wren's house so he doesn't have to ride his bike. Besides the fact that it's no big deal, I also think it's a good idea, this might be a good time to squash any extra awkwardness between us. He seemed totally fine at school today so I'm probably just thinking too much into it.

When Kilian hops into my truck he looks pretty slick, but it is fine because it's not like Wren can change her mind at the last minute, can she? The vibe in the truck is really normal between us, just our average bro banter so it seems like he is going to be cool tonight. When we get to Wren's house, Declan is already there and he opens the door for us.

"Quin and Wren are upstairs, she won't let Wren come down until she's done, she's being a little diva," Declan explains, kind of chuckling.

I head towards the stairs to go up and find Wren but Declan interjects, "I wouldn't do that, I've already gotten a pillow to the face, the young one is a little scary," he says fake shuddering.

Just then Wren's dad comes out in the living room, "Looking sharp boys," he says as he hands us a photo album. There are five classic pics we take every year and it's pretty cool to see how much we've changed over the years. 

Mr. McCauley notices the flowers in my hand, "Oh, looks like we'll have to add a new photo to the lineup, she didn't tell me she was going with a date," he explains with a knowing look on his face.

"We're all still going together," Kilian interjects, and I can't decide if I want to murder him, or thank him for breaking that tension.