Cruel

Pete's life inside the palace was like a bumpy road because he had some nice moments along with some bad ones. It wasn't unusual for him to come across Ae making out with some or the other woman. After the first time Pete had warned the crown prince, he didn't go to do it again because there was no point in talking to someone who didn't value words or people.

Today, Pete was invited to attend the royal court by his mother in law and Pete soon got dressed up and headed towards the place. When Pete arrived, he was ushered to his seat before the proceedings began.

Pete watched as the people were brought in with complains or asking for help. The emperor and the crown prince were usually taking the decision alternately. Pete could feel that Ae was being cruel and ruthless along with being bias towards his subjects.

There was one man dragged into the court, bound by chains and his body was bruised. He was forced to his knees by the guards and he began to whimper in pain. He was accused for having stolen from the royal family. "Your majesty, I beg your pardon but I haven't stolen anything." The person pleaded.

"But the bag was found with you and the money too." Ae accused. "Your highness, I don't know how it slipped into my belongings but I didn't do it." The person tried to explain. "I don't think you are innocent. Since there is no proof or witness that would prove you to be not guilty, you are being charged for the treason and sent to jail." Ae concluded. "Crown prin-""Take him away!!" The emperor was about to say something but was cut off midsentence.

"Your majesty!! Please... No!! My family will starve... There is no one to help them." The person began to plead. "Take him away and sent his family into exile. I don't want to see the faces of these people ever again." Ae shouted. The guards began to drag the person out of the courtroom while he was trying to free himself. His eyes looking at his wife.

A woman standing close by holding a child in her arms rushed towards the emperor and began to beg, "Your majesty... My husband is innocent. Please don't be cruel to us. I beg your pardon. Please let my husband go. I promise never ever to set foot on this land ever."

"Take this woman away." Ae shouted and the guards began to drag the woman out of the court ignoring all her pleas. Pete was left in utter shock when he saw the way the justice was made. He couldn't believe that Ae was so cruel towards his subjects.

"Crown prince, this is not the way to deal with the situation." The emperor reminded. "No culprit should be left free..." Ae shot back. "But you don't have enough evidence to frame him." The emperor spoke. "I don't care." Ae said brushing it off. "The punishment was too hard. You shouldn't be this cruel to others. I would like you to think over it before finalizing." The emperor tried to negotiate.

"I don't want to think. I am done and I am leaving now. The court is adjourned." Ae said getting up from his seat and quickly rushing out of the courtroom. There were whispers around as the people present heard the punishment. "If the crown prince succeeds after the emperor, I don't think anyone will be able to live in peace." One of the person spoke in a low voice.

"I hope it's the other son who is given the opportunity. The crown prince will ruin everything." Another one agreed. Pete didn't wait much long and left his seat, quickly bowing to his in laws and rushing out of the courtroom.

Rather than hurrying towards his chamber, he ran in the direction of the main gate trying to find the woman who had been expelled from the kingdom. "Wait!!" he said when he saw her at a distance and ran after her. The woman stopped in her tracks and turned around and felt fear creeping inside when she saw the prince approaching her. Her face was stained with tears which she was trying to wipe off using her sleeve.

"Your highness, I am leaving... Please don't punish me. I still have a baby who needs to be taken care of." She pleaded with fear. "Don't worry, I won't hurt you. I just want to help." Pete assured. The woman was surprised when she heard those words.