Punished

The emperor was more than annoyed since he could see his favourite dish on the table but the prince was holding him back from devouring it. "Prince Ae, please proceed with your investigation. The food is turning cold." The emperor pointed out.

"Sure..." Ae said while smiling as he left his chair raising himself up. "We have thought of implementing some new rules and that will be done today itself. As a safety measure, from now on, all the maids involved in cooking the food will have to taste it in front of the royal family. Only then will it be considered to be safe for consumption and the practice is beginning today itself." Ae announced.

There were various gasps and whispers after the announcement. "I will name the dish and each person who was involved in cooking should step forward and taste it. And if anyone is missing, it should be brought to the notice." Ae cleared. Everyone nodded in response and Ae proceeded to call the maids to taste the food.

He gestured towards the first dish while asking the maids to step forward and taste it. All the maids who were involved in cooking step forward and took turns tasting the dish. Once done, Ae moved to the other dish and it went on till the fifth dish when Ae called all the maids. One of them was trembling in fear and when the dish was finally served in small bowls for the maids to taste, she ran away.

"Catch her!!" Ae ordered and soon the guards were seen rushing after her. She was not able to get away as the guards managed to capture her and brought back to the dining room. All the people were already waiting in the dining hall for the culprit to be brought inside.

The guards walked in dragging her and threw her on the floor. "You thought you could get away?" Ae asked while stepping in front of her. "Y-your highness... I-I am sorry." The maid pleaded. "Apologies are not required here. Speak up the truth before I accuse you of betraying the royal family." Ae warned.

"I didn't mean to do it... I was threatened." The maid tried to explain. "You could have asked for help." Ae replied. "I am sorry your highness but my family will be killed if I speak." The woman replied.

"They would be killed even if you don't answer. May be siding with the royals might help you save your family." The emperor suggested. "Your majesty!! It was Lord Runrot.... He asked me to mix some medicine in the food. He threatened me saying that if I didn't listen, he will kill my family. I have no other option your majesty." The maid begged.

"Guards!! Summon Lord Runrot to be present here right now without letting him know the reason." Ae commanded. The guards nodded while hurriedly leaving the place and walking out of the dining hall. It didn't take long for the said person to arrive but when he stepped into the dining hall, he was met with the view that had him swept off his feet. Still trying to compose his expression, he bowed to the emperor and greeted him before proceeding to ask, "Your majesty... Is something important that I have been called?" Lord Runrot asked while trying to maintain his calm.

"Yes Lord Runrot... We actually wanted you to join us for dinner. We have a special soup today. Please have a seat while the maids prepare your meal." The emperor said calmly. "Y-Your majesty... I just had food..." Lord Runrot tried to explain.

"Okay... Then just have this soup. It's tasty... With some new ingredients being added into it." The emperor insisted. "I would have loved to your majesty but I am not feeling well. Should I return back to my chamber?" Lord Runrot asked.

"Surely you can but not before finishing the soup." Ae cleared. "Prince Ae... I said I am not well." Lord Runrot tried to maintain his calm even though he was already losing his patience. "Lord Runrot... You are such a wise man... I have thought that you would love to have dinner with us... It's such a pity that you are leaving." The empress pretended to be sad.