Dupe X Reader (Fluff)

Trekking through the complex wasn't too difficult a task; navigating the winding halls and derelict rooms was made a breeze with the numbered doors.

In their most honest state, they could agree that they were absolutely fearless. Nothing could spook the stoic (Y/n).

Treading carelessly through another lengthy hall, they took in the sights of the flickering lightning; the huge, church-like windows allowed for the bright white light to brighten their path.

Room twelve was right ahead, and they shoved it open in a swift, thoughtless motion.

Entering another hallway, they found several doors, more rooms branching off of it. Having not taken the room number, they turned back to look, to find claw marks etched into the plaque and ruining their chances of survival.

A low, throaty growling emerged, making the floor vibrate from the pitch and volume. Door twelve and door thirteen was in front of them, and they had to make a choice. Now, they were feeling that stoic façade of bravery slowly melting away, being replaced by an unsettlement and discontentment.

Gulping somewhat anxiously, (Y/n) crosses their fingers and steps towards door twelve, the fake door.

Their skin prickled as they reached forwards, gripping the doorknob.

Turning it slowly, they came face to face with a pair of eyes, its irises as black as the shadow behind it. It wore a sharp, gleaming grin as it stared them down, leaning forwards to bite them.

Cowering back, (Y/n) covered their face with their forearms to distance themself from the creature.

When no harm had been done, they sheepishly uncovered their face and tried to look at the creature.

It was, in a way, quite cute. Without the large, fanged grin and untimely appearance, it could have been a somewhat sweet encounter.

Stalling, it drew back and simply took in the sight of the cowardly human, observing it with intrigue until it darted towards them again.

Something seemed to stop it from gnawing them, since it opened its mouth but froze halfway in between.

For a moment, they stared at one another, blankly. Nothing really happened in the moment.

Then, it lunged at them, clinging to their torso like a child. Its growling died down into a light purring sound.

Dazed and confused, (Y/n) just wrapped their arms around it and gently patted its back, somewhat awkwardly.

Whatever the creature was, it seemed to be a bit mislead into killing humans for no reason. If anything, it was in need of a touch of humanity and care.

Rubbing their hands over its back, (Y/n) held it there, close to their body; in response, it continued to purr, the sound making its chest vibrate.

It enjoyed the heat of their body, finding the warmth to be an alien experience to it. (Y/n) was mildly stunned by how cold the entity was, not expecting it to be so chilly to the touch. However, after a few minutes in their arms, it was at a more human temperature.

The revelation hit them; the creature perhaps wasn't evil. A trickster, it was, a cunning and devious little prankster.

Well, (Y/n) wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth, and decided to take it with them on their journey. Maybe it would prove useful in some way, able to point out a path for them.