C H A P T E R 2

Silence permeated the entire office, a heavy and oppressive blanket that stifled any attempts at conversation

Silence permeated the entire office, a heavy and oppressive blanket that stifled any attempts at conversation. No one dared to utter a word as the clock ticked away the late hours of the night. The elders had retired to their beds, leaving only the six of them in the dimly lit office. Vivaan, the stoic figure of authority, sat in the main chair, meticulously sifting through the files that lay before him. Aryan, now changed into casual wear, occupied the seat in front of Vivaan, a subtle nervousness flickering in his eyes.

Arushi and Siya found a spot on the couch, their eyes darting around the room. It was already 11 pm, and while the discussion and the official marriage certificate could certainly wait until the next day, Vivaan seemed insistent on concluding matters that very night. Their gazes shifted to Simran, who leaned on another couch, her petite frame engulfed in an oversized T-shirt and sweatpants belonging to Aryan.

The door creaked open, and Ayansh entered, carrying a plate of food. Striding over to Simran, he placed it in front of her. She, the only one hungry, eagerly eyed the pasta on the plate, joy gleaming in her eyes. She looked up at Ayansh and flashed a grateful smile.

"Thank you," she uttered, a simple phrase that had an unexpected effect on Ayansh. A slight smile played on his lips, and he gently patted her head. Despite his tough exterior, he recognized that she was still a child, forced into a world she couldn't comprehend. Loosening his tie, he settled beside her, stealing glances at the two ladies seated across the room.

Arushi nudged her head towards the table, catching Ayansh's attention. "Bhai..."

Ayansh was interrupted by Vivaan, who raised his hand, signaling for silence. Aryan met Vivaan's gaze head-on, an act unheard of in their dynamics.

''Do you know the consequences of your actions aryan? Did you ever think of her or your future before marrying her?''

Vivaan's voice, cold and stern, resonated through the office, questioning Aryan about the consequences of his actions. Simran gulped audibly, feeling a shiver run down her spine. Aryan, however, remained nonchalant, bored even, in the face of Vivaan's scolding. The 22-year-old, with his green eyes locked onto Vivaan's, showed no fear. Vivaan's frustration peaked, and he slammed his hand on the table, demanding Aryan to stop being ignorant and take responsibility for his actions.

''Stop being so ignorant aryan. Be responsible of your actions for once. I would not be everywhere to clean up your mess. What you did was a fucking dirty move. She is unaware of our world and you just kidnapped her and married her. What do you think of yourself. Sometimes think about anyone other than yourself." His breathing heightened as he ended his speech. He was livid by the careless action.

Aryan glanced at him and a heavy sign left his lips. ''Non sa nemmeno dove si trova di fronte a me...fottuto stupido essere umano.'' He grumbled under his breath before standing up. The cockiness on his face clearly visible. ''You really think it matters to me, Bhai. You are a fool if you believe I care about anything else. I don't give a fuck to it.''

(He doesn't even knows where he stands in front of me...fucking stupid human being.)

With an air of cockiness, Aryan strolled out of the room, leaving behind the aftermath of his defiance. Siya exchanged a worried look with Vivaan, and moments later, the screeching of a car marked Aryan's departure.

*************

"Ayansh..."

Arushi's voice cut through Ayansh's contemplation as he gazed out of the window, searching for Aryan's return.

He hummed in response, his forehead creased with worry. Arushi sighed and descended from the bed, approaching Ayansh. She softly placed her hand on his shoulder, rubbing it in an attempt to provide comfort. Ayansh closed his eyes, the stress apparent on his face.

"He never thinks of the consequences of his actions, Arushi. He doesn't understand how much we care about him. He doesn't give a damn about anyone. I'm afraid for Simran; she's still a naive, innocent child. How will she adjust to this world?" Ayansh's voice tightened with anxiety as he spoke, and Arushi could see the weight of responsibility pressing down on him.

Turning him towards her, she rubbed his arm soothingly. "It's okay, Ayansh. It's not your fault. He's not a child anymore, and maybe Simran will be the one to change him. Who knows what will happen?"

"Hmm... I hope that's the truth." The silence that followed was a welcomed respite for both of them. After their marriage, not a single day had passed without arguments. Ego and differing opinions had often clashed, making this moment of peace a rare and precious occurrence.

*********

"You're holding the book upside down, Siya."

Vivaan's observation interrupted Siya's thoughts. She looked up to find him standing at the edge of the bed, his gaze fixed on her intently. Closing the book, she descended from the bed and walked to the table, placing it there.

"I'm scared for Aryan. He's such a reckless person," she confessed, glancing at Vivaan, who observed her closely. Siya rolled her hair into a bun, securing it with a hair tie dangling from her wrist. She walked toward him, but before she could move further, she felt a gentle tug. Turning, she found Vivaan holding the end of her saree.

Sighing, she attempted to pull it away, but Vivaan had other plans. He wrapped the end of her saree around his wrist and pulled her closer, causing her to collide with his chest. Her hands rested on his shoulders.

"Vivaan, please... I'm not in the mood for a fight or your taunts..." Siya pleaded, but Vivaan remained silent. His fingers brushed against her cheeks, tucking a stray piece of hair behind her ear. "Siya, don't stress, okay? He's not a child; he'll be okay. He's a spoiled brat, and you know it very well."

"Hmm... Let me make the bed. There's a lot of work tomorrow. If you stay up late, you won't be able to function," Vivaan nodded in agreement and left her to attend to the task. Siya turned around, her breath in control, and noticed her cheeks were warmed. Vivaan, with a slight smirk, crossed his arms with a satisfied expression on his face.

**********