-THIRTY-NINE-

I brush my teeth after wrapping my body in a towel and putting my wet hair up into a silk scrunchie for now

I brush my teeth after wrapping my body in a towel and putting my wet hair up into a silk scrunchie for now. I still have to do my curl routine and start the stretching part while it's still wet.

This morning I woke up two hours earlier than usual and decided it'd be a good idea to wash my hair because I'd been putting it off for a while. I washed my face and went straight to the shower. I just got out, and now I'm brushing my teeth.

I spit into the sink after about three minutes have passed and I'm satisfied with my brushing. Then I wash out my mouth and start the flossing process.

Maria and I are going to the cargo port to supervise our soldiers who are retrieving it. Some cargoes have been going missing and all of them acted like they didn't know shit so I told Pa that it would be a good idea if I stayed hidden and watched them. He loved the idea and was pissed off he didn't think of it himself.

Last month's mafia ball was probably the last time Maria and I hung out because we've both been busy with our own lives and our parents who are both going through tough times at the moment.

The weather in Italy is a little chilly, that's how it always is in December. But I love the temperature, it's just right. A few snowflakes hit my nose and I smile at the idea that there's going to be a white Christmas. That'll bring the mood up and we'll have a little snowball fight in the backyard.

I get in the car and text Maria. I'm in the car. We use the same car every time we go out as the two of us. Maria and I both have a key so whoever gets here first drives.

I feel goosebumps rise on my skin and furrow my brows. Something isn't right—

What the actual fuck.

Someone right behind my fucking seat just threw a rope over my head to land at my neck and pulled so that I'd be trapped. I use my hands to get a firm grip and then put my back into it when I yank down. Their head slams against my seat and I turn around right away.

"Maria, what the fuck?" I screech.

"Man, it was just a test." She rubs her head.

"Why would you do that?!"

"We always do this, you didn't have to yank that hard." She pouts and looks into the rearview mirror to see if it's bruising.

"You can't be doing that when there are threats." I gape at her.

"Noted." She rolls her eyes.

She gets out of the car and moves to the passenger seat beside me before I start the car. We're on the main road in a few minutes without any music on and head to the port.

Maria purses her lips, lost in thought as she watches the beach as we drive by. There's a small beach near the highway we take whenever we're going somewhere and Maria always watches it. She loves the sea, lakes, oceans, beaches, honestly any large body of water.