Chapter 40: Waiting Room

Your face dropped and your heart sank to your stomach. Your mouth agaped, your eyes widened and your eyebrows raised. You stared at your mother, her eyes swollen and red from crying. Tom had the same expression on his face, and he immediately pulled you in for a hug. You were frozen, you couldn't speak nor move. Your mother faced her head down and cried quietly so you wouldn't hear, as you began to sob into Tom's chest. His hand stroked your hair, his chin resting on your shoulder and his other arm around your waist, as he felt so guilty and sorry for you but didn't know what to say.

You felt your mother's hand rub your back, "I wanted to stay back at the hospital but they insisted I went home to you." she said through her tears. "Is he dead?" you cried. "I don't know dear." she responded. You moved away from Tom and sat onto the ledge of your bed, Tom got up as well and sat next to you, his hand reaching underneath your shirt and rubbing your back comfortingly. He looked at you with concern in his eyes, hating to see you in such an upset state. He grabbed your face with both of his hands and wiped away your tears underneath your eyes with his thumbs.

"I want to go see him." you told them, lifting yourself up from the bed and rushing to grab a pair of pants to quickly slip in. You pulled out a pair of dark wash bootcut jeans and a black fur hooded jacket. You slipped the jeans over your legs and pulled the jacket over your arms, zipping it up. "Tom, please come with me." you pleaded, and he immediately got up without having to be told twice and headed to Miles's room to throw a hoodie over himself. "Do you want me to come with you?" your mom asked, "no, stay here and sleep." you responded, pulling the hood over your head. You grabbed a pair of converses and put them on, quickly heading downstairs with Tom trailing behind. Your heart was beating so fast you were so eager and worried and stressed about the news you were going to hear when you got there.

Everything was going to change though, no matter if he was alive or not. Everything was going to be different for you, and affect the way your life continued.

Tom grabbed his keys, opening the door for you and you headed outside. You rubbed your hands together, fog coming out your mouth when you huffed out due to how cold it was. Tom opened the car door for you, you hopped in and so did he. He quickly started up the car and began driving off. The colour of the stoplights bouncing off of you and him, the golden colour of the streetlamps reflecting onto you both as you passed them all by. Tom kept glancing over at you, but you were zoned out, deep in thought. You snapped out of it when he placed his hand over your thigh, letting you know you were okay.

You took deep breathes, to calm yourself down. You held his hand in your lap, the same familiar feeling of his warm palm fitting yours, almost like a glove. He squeezed your hand, your fingers tangling together which made you feel less worried.

After the long drive, you finally reached the hospital and slammed the car door, running into the front reception. You rushed to the counter, where a lady sat. "I'm here to visit a patient." you said, your hands over the counter. "And he is too." you said, looking over at Tom. "No worries, name of the patient?" she asked, clicking and typing her keyboard and mouse, staring into her computer screen. "Uhm, Carter y/l/n." you told her, as she began scrolling. "Relationship to the patient?" she asked, "daughter." you replied. "Mhm, you sir?" she asked, looking up at Tom.

"Uh, son in law." he replied.

You looked over at him and couldn't help but smile, as you sheepishly looked away, your face feeling warm and butterflies surged through your body. She told you the room number and that you still had to wait in the waiting room before you could visit him, you both nodded and entered the elevator, clicking the button of the room's floor level. You felt anxious, as the elevator escalated upwards.

"Son in law." you repeated, teasing him. You glanced over at him, seeing him smile and his cheeks become pink. You placed a kiss onto his cheek, your hand holding his chin.

The elevator doors opened, as you walked out and Tom followed behind you. Your arms crossed over your chest as you quickly walked over and stood in the waiting room, before you found an empty seat and sat down, Tom sitting next to you afterwards. You began to pick at your nails, your leg bouncing up and down nervously. Thoughts were racing in and out of your mind before your thoughts were interrupted by Tom's hand resting onto your knee to stop your leg from bouncing. Your hand clung onto his arm, as you leaned down onto his shoulder. He placed a kiss onto your head, feeling the weight of his head colliding against yours. You closed your eyes and followed a breathing pattern.

Your eyes began to tear up again, you blinked and they fell out, dripping down your cheeks. You closed your eyes, as more tears continued to stream down your face. "I'm so scared Tom." you whispered. "I know." he said, holding your hand in his. You took a deep breathe.

You then saw a doctor walk by and leaped out of your seat. "Doctor!" you called, as he stopped in his tracks and turned around. "When can I see my father?" you asked, as Tom stood behind you. "You're Ruth's daughter, yes?" he asked, you nodded, taking a hold of Tom's hand anxiously. You looked at him with concern, waiting for what he was going to tell you next. His face had an unhappy look, which made you feel fear.

He nodded, placing his hand onto your shoulder.

"Your father is okay."

-

AUTHOR'S NOTE: heeleooooo hope u guys enjoyedededed ill upload 1 more chap today then im DONE yall been fed more than enough