chapter seventeen

Chapter 17

Zero was facing the wall when he heard Langdon come in. He was coming from helping Bailey. After the day they had, there was no surprise that Langdon had placed the house in a relaxed state. Earlier in the day, they had a run in with Savage's wolves. Unfortunately, they were not on the territory. The Blackwood pack had some business to attend to two towns away from home. Come to find out that Savage had visited the town and made his presence known. The small group of wolves that was living a peaceful life by themselves was shaken and terrified. Once Alpha Blackwood stepped into their home, the youngest of the family clung to him as if he was the ground. She refused to let go, crying that the bad man threatened her mommy. The bad man promised to come back and hurt her mommy if she did not do what he said.

Her job was to get close to the pack and relay information back to him. She was supposed to call the Blackwood pack and get them to let her family come and live with them. The she-wolf was scared out of her mind. Her husband, who was not her mate due to her mate had pass, was human. He understood that this was a completely different world. The laws were different from what the human laws were. He loved her no less.

Upon asking what they were doing, she screamed that they were moving. There was no choice; she had go get her children to safety. Her husband was human for Christ sakes. There was no way she was going to allow this man, Savage come in and destroy her marriage or her family. Upon asking where she would go, she paused. The frightened she-wolf had no idea. Nathanial being the Alpha jumped on the phone. He was sending her family out to the cabins. Her family could stay for as long as she wanted. They would be out when the wind blew the correct way and during the full moon. There they will be safe, including her husband. All the wolves that was living there was older wolves. He will order them to leave her husband alone.

Her shoulders fell as tears washed down her slender face. As her knees gave out, Alpha Blackwood bent down. All he could do was allow her to cry. She needed to get the worry out. Like any other mother, she had to protect her children. This family as always been somewhat apart of the pack. Nathanial would not allow any harm to come to them.

Poor Langdon was having a difficult time processing what was going on so quickly. He could not fathom the idea of why Savage would threaten a small family. Get to them? On the other hand, was it to get to him, May and June? Before Langdon could gather any thoughts, Zero made him look him in the eyes. He was not going to think about running. The hell with Savage. He could attempt to get to him, only if he went through Zero, Josh and Aaron. If Langdon did not notice, he will show him. Josh and Aaron were hovered around him just as they were Zero. To Josh and Aaron, he was their Alpha. If Langdon fell, Zero fell. Josh and Aaron would lose their ranks until another Alpha could replace Zero. Which more likely would be Amber's mate. Most likely, the Betas would not welcoming him into the group willingly. The bond between the three could not be broken at the drop of a hat. Josh and Aaron would fight to protect him, as they would Zero.

However, Langdon was carrying a guilt with him greater than anyone could comprehend. Savage had found out that he was with the Blackwood pack. He wanted revenge for what had taken place in New York. This time, there was a pack standing in the way. On top of that, he felt like he had led Savage directly to May and June. Somehow, Zero was going to get Langdon to see that this was not his fault. Tonight he was going to lay his mate in his arms and let the night take a hold of them.

Crawling in bed, Langdon laid his head on Zero's arm. There was a moment that was stiff and lonely. Zero rubbed his back, reminding him that he was not alone. He was right here beside him and willing to take on the world for him.

"Do you think that your dad will get sick of me?" Langdon whispered.

"What?" Zero gasped, "Are you kidding? Dad is proud that you are my mate. That he's met you."