twenty-six

Chapter 26

            The wind passed through his fur as his paws hit the ground at top speed. He was able to lose the wolves behind him minutes ago. This was too much. Tatom approached him earlier in the day about vowing to stay with this pack. Next his brother’s were speaking to him. They invited Zero into the conversation! Some brothers they were! More like traders! He barely knows them and then they team up with Zero!

            His heart felt like a lead weight in the middle of his chest. His breathing had speed up. Why would they do this to him? Using the whole mating thing against him. Using his mother! ‘Bailey would be in complete care under the Alpha.’ ‘She would be protected under their law.’ Shaking his head, Langdon pushed harder until his lungs hurt. He didn’t stop, he kept going. Forcing air into his tight throbbing lungs. His beast growled at him to calm down.

            ‘I can’t!’ Langdon cried out. ‘They’re traders!’

            ‘No my human, they are our brothers! I felt and see their beast. Both man and beast wants us, respects us, loves us! They want us safe.’

            The beast pushed forward, forcing Langdon into the back. He slowed down and stopped right at the creek. Bending down, his tongue lapped up the freshest drinking water one could have after the painful run. With each breath, the lungs felt like fire tingling its way under the skin.

            Inside his mind, he watched the world through his beast eyes. It was much clearer than a humans. Even though werewolves could see pretty clear, their beast sight is even better. He nudged his beast that was enough water. They were going to get sloshy. The beast licked his lips.

            With the setting sun in front of them, the bare and piney trees towards their back. The beast laid down on the chilled earth. His heart too was heavy. His human was scared.

            ‘Let me have my body back!’ Langdon shouted inside his mind.

            ‘Our body,’ the beast purred. ‘We share the same body.’

            ‘Now you sound like a human! I want my beast back.’

            Langdon fell back on the ground, usually the beast would be here waiting on him. This time he was sitting in the woods by a lake. Naked. Langdon didn’t like it when others were around when he shifted. Modest. Being like this didn’t bother him, it was him and his wolf. Like it had always been.

            Laying back, he began thinking about what it was he needed to do. Should he comment to the pack? Langdon didn’t look at Pro’s and Con’s, he looked at what felt right. It felt right being with Zero. His first kiss was when the big wolf was asleep. Touching his lips, every time Zero kissed him heat would send a tingle through him. His body reacted in many different ways. Zero would cause kaleidoscopic colors to wash in gentle waves. His body yearned to be around him, to feel his touch.

            Okay so Max was his best friend, he would miss the hell out of it he left. His first friend here. Jen was like a little sister now. He enjoyed her rants and raves or her soft and melody conversations. They both weren’t judgmental. Each would listen to you before speaking. Max was always there for him when needed.

            May and June, those two had plagued him with a thousand worries and more emotions than anyone. Not one day didn’t go by when he didn’t think about them. Worry that he did the wrong thing by placing them on a bus. Only to find out they found someone who loves them. Zero.

            ‘Damn you Zero!’ Langdon sat up while pouching the air. ‘I can’t believe you!’

            All Zero did was tell him that it was his choice. He wouldn’t leave his side. If that meant leaving the pack, he would. Langdon knew Zero could never leave the pack. It was his rightful place to take the seat as Alpha.