chapter thirty five

The sun barely peeked over the tops of the trees, the wind blew a gentle yet teasing breeze. Below the wolves were gathering around the center of the cabins, just off the lake. An intake of breath rose the beast within. He could feel the wolves that called out to him. That stood by him in this time need. Need a strange word at the moment. Wolves needed to be praised, they needed a pack to feel whole. A rogue never truly knows the meaning of pack life. Not once had he ever felt that his beast would go mad and go rogue. They felt the honor in what it meant to be Beta. To rise with Zero and Josh, protect what was theirs. A Beta also takes on the role of leader and protector just like an Alpha.

His ears caught the movement of Jalin shifting his feet, a subtle way of letting him know that the challenge is soon. He had to clear his mind and get his head into the game. Scott King challenged him for his position of the leaders.

‘Because they think we’re weak,’ Aaron thought. His beast growled and snarled. ‘They think we’re weak because we take a soft approach in life.’ His beast growled again.

It was true that they were compassionate and affectionate with it came to life. Aaron chose to believe that everyone is worth everything. When you give out love, it’s worth loving someone with a whole heart. Give it your all, just not a part. If this makes him weak, than they truly don’t understand.

His beast flashed him a picture of Zero. ‘Zero understands us completely. He is proud to have us beside him. We are worth more to him than the whole pack together.’ His beast howled in pride.

At one point Aaron had thought that Langdon might have spoken to Zero about how he truly felt. Only, Zero already knew. He already knew about his heart and how he chose to live his life. Zero never once teased him, never once degraded him or belittled him. He praised him for him choosing a life that made him comfortable. For not allowing someone else to tell him how his life should be lived. With that Aaron truly felt the honor of being Beta. Having an Alpha that looks at him with the pride Zero does, made this worth very bit. It was his time to show his Alpha that he was worthy of being his Beta.

Jalin stood up and crossed his arms. Blowing out a deep breath, Aaron took one last look at the fading sun. A dark bird flew across the tree top to its nest. Gearing himself, his wolf pushed forward. It was time to show Scott King what Beta was about.

Following the War wolf down he kept his mind off of the wolves watching him walk the path to the circle. His father caught his eye, sitting proud as a Beta father could. The old man didn’t say a word when it came to the actual challenge. All he said was ‘Show who he’s dealing with.’ No good luck, or you better win.

Keeping his eyes locked on the very wolf that challenged him, Scott King stood with his shirt off and ripped muscles. He definitely had more muscle than Aaron. Which meant, Aaron could be faster. Jalin moved to his mate, allowing Aaron to be shown fully. Pausing, Aaron quickly stripped down to his shorts. Zero came into view in the middle of the circle.

“Tonight your Beta Aaron has answered to a challenge. Scott King feels that he can perform better than the certain Beta. I have allowed this match to proceed.

“Tonight is also a silent challenge, there will be no shouts, no cheers. For the spirit gathering takes place immediately after.”

Zero turned towards Scott, “Are you ready?”

“I am,” Scott snarled.

Turning towards Aaron, “Are you ready?”

“I am,” Aaron remained calm, yet his voice was deep.

“Shift,” Zero ordered.

Aaron hunched forward, his teeth grew into fangs. Fur replaced hair upon his body. Bones cracked, shifted, changed. His eyes illuminated a deep golden brown as the beast approached the surface. His deep dark brown wolf appeared before everyone. Zero had to take pride in the fact that his Beta just shifted while keeping his eyes on the opponent.