| Shopping | 15 |

We were walking back to the Curtis's house in silence when a thought struck me "August have you met my friends before?" I asked him

He kicked a rock on the sidewalk "I met that Sodapop guy at our party but other than that I don't think so."

"What about you Theo" he didn't respond. He was looking off into space smiling clearly thinking about something else. "Helloooo" I waved my hand in front of his face "Earth to Theo!" He snapped out of it and looked at me.

". . . What?" He glanced between me and August.

Now I'm curious "Nothing. What were you thinking about?"

"Just. . . Carsss..." he sounds like he's trying to convince himself.

"Are you thinking about that girl?" I still wanna know who it is.

"What girl?" August asked

"There's no girl!" He shouted

I crossed my arms "Then why were you smiling? No one smiles like that thinking about cars." Unless you're Steve...

"Just drop it okay? If I wanted to tell you I would." He sounds mad.

We walked the rest of the way in awkward silence. Theo doesn't usually get mad. At all. What's going on with him?

When we got to the house we walked in and I introduced everyone to my brothers. They were fine when I was introducing Theo but their faces got cold and hard when they looked at August. Oohhh man I forgot about the soc thing. Is it going to be a problem?

I sat down on the couch with Two-Bit, Theo started talking to Soda in the kitchen, and August sat in front of me on the floor watching the TV.

Two-Bit tapped my shoulder "Stacy," I looked over "You didn't tell us your brother was one of them" he whispered with disgust.

I rolled my eyes "Look he's just a kid okay? He hasn't committed any crimes and he's kind. Don't hate him because of his friends." I said back

He narrowed his eyes "Still."

I flicked him on the forehead "Still nothing." He went back to watching TV and so did I. It had changed from the news to some sitcom I wasn't really paying attention to, can Johnny tell I like him? Can the gang? Similar questions ran through my head for the next 40 minutes till Steve came in and snapped me out of it.

He let out an exaggerated sigh and leaned against the wall dramaticly. "I miss Hannah"

"You  just dropped her off" Two-Bit said

"Yeah well I miss her. Try getting some women and then you'll understand." He snapped back. Me and August tried to stifle our laughs.

    They bicker back and forth till Johnny interrupted them "Can we head to the shopping center? I don't want to be out too late, my folks haven't liked me stayin' out as late as I have." Then why has he? Why does he stay out late with me if it gets him in trouble?

"I think that Johnny kid is love with you...

                           ...have you seen the way he looks at you? His eyes may as well have been cartoon hearts."

There's no way. Surely he was just using that to cover up him liking me. "Yeah let's go. We'll take my truck." Steve said walking towards the door.

We got up and followed him out, his beat up ol' truck only had two actual seats so Two-Bit sat in the passenger seat while the rest of us got into the bed. I was sitting between my brothers and across from Johnny, who was playing rock paper scissors with Ponyboy.