I Like That Ending

"Billy?" Rory knocked on Billy's bedroom door.

Rory had heard the news from some kid at school that Billy's mom had just grabbed her things and left him and his father in the middle of the night. Billy hadn't shown up at school, so the second Rory heard the news, she went to his house instantly. When she got there, Mr. Loomis let her in. He was disheveled and reeked of alcohol so much it made Rory's head spin.

"Billy, I know you're in there. I'm coming in." She softly spoke and slowly opened his bedroom door peeking her head through. She fully walked in and closed the door behind her, taking notice of his trashed room. Clothes, papers, all kinds of stuff on the floor, as if he had just thrown everything around in a fit of rage, which Rory figured that's exactly what happened.

Billy was sitting on the edge of his bed with his head down as he had his football in his hands. He didn't bother looking up at Rory, just simply keeping his head down.

Rory hesitated to walk up to him, she knew how closed off he could be when it came to any kind of emotion. She wanted to help but didn't know if he'd let her. "I heard what happened." She whispered, not wanting to be loud to the point where he might snap.

"Don't." Billy sternly said with his head still down.

She sighed softly and decided to walk up to him and sat down next to him on the edge of his bed. She kept her hands at her sides as she turned her body to face him. "We don't have to talk about it. I just came to check on you. I just want to be here for you." She softly said.

"I'm fine." He said still in a stern tone as he refused to look up at Rory.

Rory knew he was far from 'fine', but she wasn't going to push him. She had to be patient with him. "Well, then how bout we watch a movie, hmm? Or we can go get some ice cream?" She wanted him to get out of his head and out of his room.

"I'm fine, Rory. You can go." Billy said being stubborn.

She shifted closer to him on the bed and softly said with a stern tone. "I'm not leaving. You're hurting and I'm not just going to leave you here to drown in your misery."

That wasn't what Billy wanted to hear. He just wanted to be left alone. Sidney, Stu, his father, no one was bothering him. After his mother left, everyone kept their distance, but Rory refused to leave and it was starting to irritate him. He didn't want her of all people to see him like this, to pity him. Why can't she just leave?

He lifted his head and met her concerned eyes while he glared at her. "Go home, Aurora." He gritted out through clenched teeth.

Seeing his sunken tired eyes only encouraged Rory to stay. She didn't care that he was being mean and telling her to leave, because she knew that deep down he needed someone there for him and she would take that spot. She shook her head. "No. I'm staying. You'll have to drag me out of this house yourself if you want me to leave so badly."

"What do you want from me, Rory? What are you hoping to achieve here? Because if you think I want your pity and sympathy, I don't. Now. Go." Billy snapped, dropping the football to the floor, then grabbing her upper arms tightly.

"I don't pity you, Billy. But your tough macho man facade is currently crumbling. You're hurting and I'm. Not. Leaving. You." She snapped back.

Billy's glare intensified as he tried to ignore the way her words were true. "I don't need your help. Go." He harshly said as his grip on her arms got tighter.

"Well then let me go. If you don't need my help, let me go."

Rory didn't mean what she said, she knew he wouldn't let go and Billy knew that too. His mind was screaming at her to leave, but his body wouldn't allow her to, his heart needed her. His grip got tighter as his intense glare was starting to well up with tears.