Ch.14 - Friends?

Y/N's cheerful, almost arrogant cadence had completely disappeared. Raven was no longer scared for herself, but scared for him. He most likely had only given her a brief taste of the many horrors he had experienced.

"I'm sorry," she muttered.

She was still figuring out the art of displaying outward care, despite how greatly she may have felt sorrow for a given person.

She greatly hesitated as she placed a hand on his shoulder.

He flinched at her affectionate touch.

"What happened after you escaped?", she asked, not realizing she was drawing closer to him.

"I tried to start over. I sought heritage on many different planets. Seeking a life that would warrant no hardship." He scoffed. "However, it was at the point that I realized I would've much rather been left to die as a Raptured Soul, than take another step forward in the life I was living."

"Why? You were free," the sorceress's voice was timid.

"Free?" He stated, looking Raven in the eyes.

"Free?!" He exclaimed in a louder tone.

Raven was taken aback by his sudden overreaction

He realized his tone of voice, backing down at the raised tension in the room. "...Sorry. But in the grand scheme of things, I've never felt more trapped in my life. The trauma of the past slaps a wall between me and any chance I have at redeeming myself. If destiny deems me to left to rot, then so be it."

He took another sip. "It's only a matter of time now, anyway."

Raven thought for a moment. Did his progressively weakening state explain the damage she was able to inflict on him earlier?

"Eventually, after being continuously rejected when people found out what I was, I got... rageful." He held his head in his hands. "The hatred I felt for myself was fed by Trigon's influence, and I didn't hold back. I don't need to tell you the rest... let's just say that good old Y/N isn't the pure soul he used to be."

Raven was desperately searching for words.

"I'm just space junk roaming through Earth predestined to kill anyone I touch."

The sheer sadness expressed through his eyes was enough to break the toughest of tyrants.

Then, without hesitation, she pulled him into a tight embrace.

"I'm sorry," she spoke, her eyes watering from the emotional overload. The guilt she felt was immense. She knew that her birth was the result of the destruction of millions of lives, but having a heart-to-heart with someone who was there when it happened was something she never expected to deal with

Y/N was taken aback. He widened his eyes, as his heart rate skyrocketed.

"No one has ever shown me kindness," he didn't realize he'd said that out loud.

In his long, long life, physical affection was unknown to Y/N. And now, the daughter of Trigon the Terrible herself was the first to show him any of what he had longly craved.

The embrace felt as if it lasted several minutes when it couldn't have been longer than 20 seconds.

Raven pulled away, as she timidly looked down at the floor