Ch.23 - Baptism By Fire

Y/N flew over the hellfires that engulfed Jump City. There was not a single hint of flora among the ash that whatever incredible catastrophe had occurred years before.

Gotham City was on the other side of the country from Jump City. So, as a giant middle finger to his pride, Y/N would have plenty of time to take in the elegant dystopia in front of him. 

Every city and state that Y/N passed through merged into a single heap of tarnished cement and incinerated wood beneath a vast, orange blanket that shut out all regard for the blue sky Y/N had grown fond of.

As he gazed at the hellscape, Y/N had numerous thoughts racing through his head.

"There's no way Slade could be telling the truth." That couldn't be what the prophecy said. But what happened to the others? What happened to Raven that was so terrible that Slade refused to tell me? I couldn't possibly have killed Robin. I'd never... I wouldn't... Will they dare to look at this monstrosity named Y/N again? I must make this right. Just one more shot..."

He arrived in Gotham many hours later.

"But there's no way back."

While each city blended together like ketchup and mustard on a hotdog, the wreckage of Wayne Manor could be seen from a mile away.

He'd even seen him train the long-dead Boy Wonder himself on numerous occasions.

While Y/N would never want anything to do with salvaging an ungrateful race such as mankind, he appreciated the devotion and generosity of those who did. He only saw now that the 'admiration' he felt was nothing more than sugar-coated envy.

"Not much has changed in this place... I wish I could say the same for the rest of the world," Y/N remarked as he reached the Bat Cave's underground entrance.

Given that this was the Batmobile's garage entry, it couldn't be opened without a garage door remote.

No, not for Y/N.

He slid his hands between the titanium sliding doors and easily pried them apart. While it was indeed swift, it was NOT quiet.

The doors grinding against the decade-old groove they were resting on emitted a piercing shriek that rang throughout the cave.

"What a way to make an entrance, Y/N..." he cursed himself.

He gazed around the cave which he had exhibited years before. Surprisingly, the interior appeared just like it did all those years ago.

"Beast Boy and Cyborg must've gotten a maid up in here... probably borrowed it from Mr. Batman... or the strip club."

The cave's dystopian technology was without a doubt lackluster, and much of it had deteriorated due to age, usage, or a lack of maintenance.

He took a step forward to explore more of the cave, but then he heard something.

Boom. Boom. Boom.

In the open space ahead of him, Y/N heard the haunting echo of what seemed to be enormous footsteps.

Boom. Boom. Boom.

They exponentially drew closer and closer as seconds passed.

Then, out of the darkness, a green T-Rex roared, shaking the cave's foundations.

"Ahhh screw you, broccoli face." Y/N damned to himself.

The T-Rex did not let up. As it neared Y/N, it opened its jaws wide, ready to shred the intruder. 

Y/N rubbed his hands together, warming them up in preparation for what he was about to to.

"Sure hope this doesn't bring the cave down..."