Ch.15 - Man In The One-Eyed Mask

Authors Note

Hey guys! Has it been 3 days since the last update?

I can't remember.

Anyway, even if it's not, here's a chapter anyway. Enjoy!

• • • • • • • •

The sliding doors to Titans Tower opened, as Robin, Beast Boy, and Raven entered the lobby.

Robin assisted Beast Boy as they walked, with the challenging hung his arm over his leader's shoulder. The battle with the H.I.V.E had led Beast Boy to tear some muscle fibers in his thigh, as well as bruising some bones in his leg

Raven walked alongside the two, the hood of her cloak obscuring the vast majority of her face.

"That didn't just happen." Beast Boy choked, as he gently sat down with the help of Robin. "Tell me that didn't just happen."

"It did happen. We can't change the truth, no matter how much we dislike it." Raven stated, lowering her head to the floor. She attempted to deny her sense of emptiness.

"We just let ourselves lose Y/N. I wasn't fast enough. Why didn't I see that coming?" Robin said in anger.

Seeing the H.I.V.E operate so well as a team had gotten to him. The fact that three young crime fighters operated in better flow than a team led by Batman's sidekick made him contemplate his integrity as a leader.

However, he also didn't believe that the H.I.V.E could've achieved this coordination by themselves. There had to be someone pulling the strings here.

"Ow..." Beast Boy cowered in pain, as he attempted to clutch his leg.

Raven knelt, using her healing powers on Beast Boy's leg. He rubbed his thigh, sensing the pain had dissipated.

"Wow, that's better. Thanks, Raven." He said.

"No problem." She replied nonchalantly.

"I'll contact Cyborg and Starfire. Hopefully, they have some intel on-", Before Robin could finish his sentence, the sliding doors to Titans Tower opened, as the jolly voice of the cybernetic teen filled the room. He was accompanied by Starfire.

"Wooooooohoo! Maybe y'all should call me 'Flyborg'. I was halfway to Gotham City before Star zapped that thing off my back! So, what'd I miss?", he looked on at his other teammates.

They struggled to meet his gaze.

"Come on, we kicked their butts, right?" He looked around.

Starfire perked up, "Where is Y/N? Is he alright?"

Robin approached the two teens. "You... didn't see him on your way home?"

Starfire shook her head, "What happened to him? He was harmed?"

"Not harmed..." Robin commenced.

"Gone." Raven finished.

"Gone? What do you mean 'gone'?" Cyborg queried with conviction.

"A sinkhole opened, and we couldn't save him in time." Robin continued. He fixed his gaze on the floor.

The Titans remained silent.

In retrospect, they barely even knew the guy. He just showed up out of nowhere and had spent more than a week living under the same roof as them.

Most of that time involved Y/N being strapped to a chair in the infirmary, but either way, he hadn't left their company.