Ch.25 - Longing

Then, there was a knock at the door...

Knock...

Knock...

Knock.

The silence made their ears bleed.

"What was-"

"Don't. Make. A sound." Beast Boy quietly hissed.

Knock...

Knock...

Knock.

'These voices... they're louder...'

After the low, yet piercing knocks, the silence continued. The absence of sound sent a chill down Y/N's spine.

Y/N went to approach the entrance, which grabbed Beast Boy's notice.

"No." He whispered. "Stay. Back."

"What are you-"

"If they find out we're in here, we won't be escaping in one piece."

Y/N wasn't blind to the mature changeling's warnings.

'My conscience... I can't hear it...'

The knocks were heard again.

Knock...

Knock...

Knock.

However, the noises did not stop there. From the other side of the door, a soft scratching was heard. The sound was similar to that of a butcher cleaver dragging along human bone.

....

The two longtime pals locked their gaze on the door.

Then, all the lights in the small room went out. They were in complete darkness and silence, with a life-threatening peril, which was only blocked by a thin sheet of metal.

"Y/N..." Beast Boy began.

"I thought you said not to talk..." Y/N comedically whispered.

"Thanks for being my friend..." his voice was filled was sorrow.

"You're... welcome?"

"And if you ever make it back home..."

The room began to shake.

"... Save our friends, please..."

"Beast Boy, no... We can fix it here. We can fix it now."

He said nothing. Suddenly, the shaking stopped, and the silence returned.

The light, however, did not.

The door audibly opened, as the world's quietest footsteps echoed throughout the empty space.

"Good luck, man. We'll be rootin' for you up there."

The last thing Y/N heard before he was deafened by Beast Boy's rasps of suffering was the booming shriek of an invisible beast.

Despite the lack of sight, Y/N recognized the invisible creature's screech. It was the call of a Hellhound - the morbid canine servants of the underworld.

Y/N didn't stand a chance. Demon magic was the only thing in the universe that could harm him, and also the only thing which he couldn't destroy.

"I promise."

Y/N took flight and blasted through the low roof of the bunker, plowing through the hundreds of feet of stone that hid the long-forgotten Bat Cave, going unheard by the changeling.