Ch.22 - Life Goes On

Cyborg followed the hassled receptionist down the cold white hallway to Robin's room in the hospital. He originally beckoned for Starfire to follow her, but even her optimistic melancholy was absent as she resorted to staying behind in the desolate waiting room.

The receptionist walked at such a fast pace that Cyborg's drowsy head struggled to even think, as it kept up with the movement of his feet. Whatever the young clerk had been notified of, it was nothing to be cracking jokes about, not even to lighten the mood.

She got to there entrance of Room 03 before Cyborg had. "Sir, M'am, he's here," she spoke into the doorway.

Slightly irritated, Cyborg dragged himself to the edge of the door frame, "What is going on here? Who's there- oh..."

Much to Cyborg's bewilderment, two powerful figures stood before him.

"Good afternoon, Cyborg. It's a pleasure." Batman stoically greeted, as he held his hand out to shake.

Cyborg absent-mindedly replied, enticed, yet taken aback by the Bat's presence. "Hello there, uh, sir."

"Yes, hello, Cyborg. You are fortunate that this case was brought to our attention as quickly as it was," the sorceress known as Zatanna greeted.

She also extended her hand. In the heat of the moment, Cyborg went to kiss it majesty-style, which came as an unexpected surprise to Zatanna.

"I was going for a handshake, but whatever suits you teenagers, I suppose," Zatanna remarked after a few seconds of seconds.

"Oh..." Cyborg awkwardly giggled to lift the atmosphere. He was not successful.

"Now that we've established barriers," Batman began, "We've come to discuss some important matters with you. Although, we assumed that there would be there would be more of you to speak with."

"Starfire is outside in the waiting room, sir. I can get her if it's necessary." Cyborg offered.

"Leave her. I don't imagine this information we plan to share will help soothe her nerves." Batman stated.

"Not by a long shot," Zatanna added.

Cyborg cocked an eyebrow, "What's the problem here? Is Robin alright? I mean, I know he's in pretty bad shape now, but will he-"

"That's the problem," Batman said, looking behind him at the closed curtain that concealed Robin's mess of organs.

Zatanna strolled over to the curtain, drawing and back and revealing the Boy Wonder's body. Cyborg would have done anything to clear that visual from his mind. And yet, his freshly sliced wounds stood right in front of him, a stark contrast from the colorless hospital bed sheets and wallpaper.

Batman himself ever-so-slightly flinched at the 

"Cyborg, Robin was harmed by Y/N's magical energy, correct?" Zatanna queried.

"How do you-"

"Yes, or no."

"Yes, he was."

Zatanna looked down, "Just as I thought. This is bad... really bad."

"And to answer your question, Cyborg, Y/N has been on our radar for many years. His doings of cruelty may have been emitted from public knowledge sources, but nothing gets by the Justice League."

"Evil doings? What are two talking about? My friend is dying right in front of me. I need answers. How do you know Y/N? What else don't I know?" Cyborg exclaimed, his tone of voice crescending as he spoke.

Zatanna answered in a low voice, "We... assumed you knew. But then again, what kind of a monster like Y/N would tell his latest victims of how he's tortured in the past?"