Ch.28 - The Point Of No Return

Raven's senses needed a few moments to adjust to the warm, humid air that struck her skin when she opened her eyes. She went to take a breath, but coughed at the unsuspecting toxicness of the air.

"I can barely breathe in here."

Once her throat had adjusted, she took in the visuals of her surroundings.

She was in yet another dungeon-like area, this time with a giant gaping hole in the roof revealing an orange and purple sky with a spectacular array of bright yellow stars.

It would have been a magnificent sight if it hadn't been for the haunting sounds of gunfire, warships, and raging army generals just outside the wall.

It didn't take her long, however, to see the figure right in front of her.

"Star?" demoness choked.

Wrapped in a bloodied and dirtied white cloak, was an orange-skinned girl, with dry and damaged red hair, sobbing her eyes out. It was a visual that Raven had grown all too familiar with these past few years.

"Starfire!"

Raven dashed over to her side, dropping onto her knees in a desperate attempt to get through to her.

"Starfire, are you okay?"

A few tears dripped onto her bare thighs.

"Starfire, please, just answer me!"

"She can't hear you." a voice called from behind her.

Raven whipped her head around, to find Emptiness stalking behind her.

"We're not really here, Raven. Everything you see, can't see us. It's all in your head."

Raven lowered her head in thought, her tears failing to cease. She took deep cleansing breaths, trying to set her comfort at ease. After all, this was just another illusion, right? Trigon must've been messing with her.

"So, this isn't real? Starfire's okay?" She pleadingly asked.

Emptiness smirked, "Poor girl..."

Raven tensed at her reply, "What? What are you saying? Stop being a jerk and answer me!"

An enormous stone door suddenly opened, pouring light into the interior. Raven observed 3 hulking figures shuffle into the room as her eyes adjusted.

A big, armored person with a harsh olive-green skin tone stood in the center. On either side of the larger creature were two thinner beings wearing less armor and wielding energy blasters.

They said nothing as they approached the broken Tamaranean girl.

Raven backed away to where Emptiness was standing, terrified.

"What's happening?" Raven questioned in a shaky voice.

"Would you like to see for yourself?" The black-cloaked girl taunted.

Raven remained silent.

The two slimmer alien creatures approached Starfire. One of them ripped her white shroud off, revealing her naked figure, which was plastered in bruises and dried flesh wounds. The second creature kicked her in the face, flipping on her back so her bare front side faced the ceiling.

The two monsters blasted shackles into Starfire's hands and feet, immobilizing her before strolling off to opposite parts of the chamber.

As the larger figure approached Starfire, she closed her eyes and bit her lip, as if she knew what was going to happen.

Raven, too, saw what was coming. She'd been through it before.

The grey demoness clenched her eyes shut and turned away from the scene, "Take me away from here," she said to Emptiness.