Ch.24 - Through A Dark Hallway

Y/N followed the armored green man through a deteriorated corridor packed with broken electronics, lethal live wires, and exposed cave rock that served as an entryway for all manner of creepy crawlies and snakes.

Y/N had still not been given the mental space he needed to completely process what had just happened in front of his eyes. There was no way that all this could have just... 'happened'. Given Beast Boy's behavior, there must have been something going on that Slade had not told him. Of course, the death of a leader would have been enough to bring down even the strongest of teammates, but Y/N felt that the team's emotional fortitude would allow them to stand by their covenant to protect their home.

But it seemed that love in all forms eventually reached its breaking point.

After a silent walk down the corridor, Beast Boy led Y/N to a large titanium door, protected by code number, hand scanner, as well as a wheel-turn lock.

"What is this, a Looney Toons episode?" Y/N mused to himself.

BB swiftly completed the procedures to open the door, as if he had done it many times before.

He returned a fleeting glance to Y/N, before letting out a long sigh, revealing what the door concealed.

Y/N gasped.

Cyborg lay flat on the technological bench, a fragile shell of what he once was. Cables connected him to what appeared to be an enormous power generator the size of a car.

Only half of his torso and a poor excuse for a head remained, and all that remained of his limbs was the severe portion of his upper arm, only held together by a few wires. What was left of his torso resembled an old car abandoned in a dump yard, and would have easily blended in with any destroyed car lot.

The mechanical side of his skull appeared to have been thrown into a blender, while the human side displayed battle scars from many years past.

"Cyborg?" Y/N choked. The gravity of the situation smashed on him like a tonne of bricks.

'Maybe I can help them,' he recalled thinking. What a ridiculous illusion that was. All had ever done was destroy everything in his sight. What kind of moron would think this time would be any different?

'Oh no, I'm getting existential again.'

"What happened?"

"He's been this way for weeks, at least... I think it's been weeks. Could've been months. Fending off all those demons sure takes a greater toll on you once you get to our old age." Beast Boy muttered as he leaned up against the now closed door.

"I'm.... sorry?!?" Y/N exclaimed as he swung around to face the changeling. "Could you please do me a favor and quit being a depressed emo teenager? I need answers here Beast Boy! What do you mean you guys have been fighting demons? What else don't I kow? I need answers, now!"

"Y/N?" A voice called out from behind him.

Y/N spun around. Cyborg looked up at him, his eyes barely open in his dazed state.

"It's good to see you again, bro. I don't even know how long it's been..."

"It's... great to see you too Cy-"

"So, this is the afterlife, isn't it? Where is Robin? I've been dying to see him for years, now. Wait a minute, why's BB here? The demons got you too, huh Beasty?"

Y/N couldn't help but chuckle internally in a desperate attempt to hold back his emotions.

"Um, Cyborg, I'm sorry to break it to you, but... you're not dead. And neither am I. It's really me," Y/N remarked.