Chapter 4

Echoes of society

Dear Reader.

I know I promised to write again until next season, but I just found out about new updates, and I want to ensure you also know them.

As mentioned, Viscount Bridgerton and Miss Sharma are engaged, and a soon wedding is expected unless another accident comes and damages their plans.

Lord Featherington was absent at the end of the evening because Mr. Colin Bridgerton called his attention. After all, he suspected that the mines in which almost all the respectable men of London invested were nothing more than a vile scam. So when he was discovered, he did nothing but run away, leaving behind the engagement with Miss Prudence Featherington.

We hope that that noble lady finds love with a true gentleman because that family needs a hero.

It's a pity that the efforts of the charismatic Bridgerton failed since it is known from good sources that his friend, the youngest of the Featheringtons, went on a trip as soon as his unfortunate words were heard. Let's hope she has better luck abroad.

Yours

Lady Whistledown.

Penelope was having a hard time on the boat trip. Not only was she dizzy, she had a headache, and she couldn't stop crying.

-Miss Penelope, you have me very worried. Do you want me to get you a doctor- her bedside assistant told her.

-No, it's okay. I just need water, please- Penelope answer weakly.

They were supposed to arrive in Scotland that day, and she had already endured most of the trip. She wouldn't turn the ship back just because her heart hurt. It's just that Colin's words run through her mind every second: "I asked Miss Thompson for her hand, and she said yes." "You don't count. You're my friend." "I would never dream on courting Penelope Featherington not even in your wildest fantasies Mr Fife." The truth was always there, and she refused it again and again. She would never be more than an honorary younger sister to Colin, just as her cousin told her. Colin was a fantasy and never a reality.

On the way to the dock to avoid suspicion about Whistledown, she asked the driver to stop so she could leave Genevieve one last pamphlet with the instruction to wait two days to publish it, so today, they should be distributing them throughout London.

Penelope knew her non-existent friendship with Eloise was over, but she knew her very well. So Eloise would not betray her unless she said something false about the Bridgertons, which did not worry her since Lady Whistledown had never been a liar.

She tried to rest her eyes, her chest aching, her tears overflowing, and for the first time in three days, Penelope could finally sleep.When she opened her eyes, felt a great heaviness in his head, as if were twice the weight. Could hardly move. Her valet handed her the glass of water, which she took in one drink.

-We're getting there, miss. I already asked an assistant to ask the coachman for help when we arrived to help you get off. Do you feel better?

-I should say yes, but my head feels very heavy.

-Try to rest a little more, and I'll wake her up when we arrive.

Penelope opened her eyes, and everything was dark, but she was no longer on the boat. Tried to find a candle or a door, but the darkness was total until found the bell.

-Good night, Miss Penelope. How are you feeling? I didn't want to wake you up because you didnt slept so much, so it was better to let you rest. Your family is downstairs eating. They told me they don't mind if you come down in your pajamas because they know how tired you are. They are waiting for you downstairs. - she gave hera slight bow and left the room.

Penelope followed her because she wanted to avoid getting lost, and it was the best because the house was huge, not as huge as Aubry Hall, but enough to get lost in it.

-Good evening-, dear aunt...-cousin!

- It's good that you woke up. You had us worried. When you arrived, you were unconscious, and your valet told us that you had the wrong time on the trip - Felicity said - come sit down. What do you want to eat? If this is not your liking, you can ask our cook to prepare whatever you want.

-Oh no, dear cousin, everything looks perfect- Penelope responded politely.

Her relatives did not want to bother her with questions because they knew that an unplanned trip was because something serious had happened, not to mention that the valet had told them that Penelope had only slept four hours in the last three days and had not had tasted a bite. In the letter they received from Lady Featherington, Portia had assured them that there was nothing wrong with Penelope, only that her infatuation with a great lord of London was trampled, and she wanted her daughter to be distracted.Penelope finished eating, said goodnight to her aunt, and headed to her new room with the help of her cousin.

-My room is next door in case you need me or if you want to call the servants. Here is the bell and the candles - Felicity paused, looking at her cousin from top to bottom - rest, there are many things to do tomorrow.

Penelope smiled at her and closed the door behind her. She was already feeling better. Maybe the headache was hunger. She walked to her bed and lay down, and the pain in her chest returned as soon as she closed her eyes. Now, it not only hurt, but It felt like a burn. It burned intensely, and she fell asleep crying again thinking in Colin, always Colin Bridgerton.